UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

Post by Joost van Leeuwaarde » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I'm kinda stressed up.
All day long I have tried to give my Users their own public_html directory
using "UserDir" in the srm.conf file. The problem is, I constantly get a
permission denied or 403 error in my browser when I want to acces a
www.domain.com/~user
URL. Can anyone tell me how to give these files permission to be read from
outside or something.

Oh yeah, if you want to see it. http://javastraat.yi.org/~joostvl

Obviously, joostvl is the user

Greets,

Joost van Leeuwaarden

UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

Post by JosB » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Joost,
Probably this is a rights-problem.
The user/group wich is related to the http service does not have rights
to the directory.
Yesterday I had the same problem when publishing a site.
Copying the site to the /home/httpd/html/... dir solved the problem.
A symbolic link did not work... :-(

You can also post to the dutch linux group, since you mailed from a
dutch account...

Regards,

Jos Buurman

Quote:> All day long I have tried to give my Users their own public_html
directory
> using "UserDir" in the srm.conf file. The problem is, I constantly
get a
> permission denied or 403 error in my browser when I want to acces a
> www.domain.com/~user
> URL. Can anyone tell me how to give these files permission to be read
from
> outside or something.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

Post by George Csahani » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You've got this ability turned on in httpd, right???

-g

Quote:> Hi folks,

> I'm kinda stressed up.
> All day long I have tried to give my Users their own public_html directory
> using "UserDir" in the srm.conf file. The problem is, I constantly get a
> permission denied or 403 error in my browser when I want to acces a
> www.domain.com/~user
> URL. Can anyone tell me how to give these files permission to be read from
> outside or something.

> Oh yeah, if you want to see it. http://javastraat.yi.org/~joostvl

> Obviously, joostvl is the user

> Greets,

> Joost van Leeuwaarden

UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

Post by George Csahani » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

from one of my srm.conf files:

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.

DocumentRoot /var/lib/httpd/htdocs

# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is recieved.

UserDir public_html

# DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
# directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.

DirectoryIndex index.html

-GC

Quote:> Hi folks,

> I'm kinda stressed up.
> All day long I have tried to give my Users their own public_html directory
> using "UserDir" in the srm.conf file. The problem is, I constantly get a
> permission denied or 403 error in my browser when I want to acces a
> www.domain.com/~user
> URL. Can anyone tell me how to give these files permission to be read from
> outside or something.

> Oh yeah, if you want to see it. http://javastraat.yi.org/~joostvl

> Obviously, joostvl is the user

> Greets,

> Joost van Leeuwaarden

1. 403 permission Denied Error Problems

In our labs we run NCSA httpd version NCSA/1.4.2.  Certain CGI
programs run from users home directories, but when placed elsewhere
give 403 Permission Errors.  All permissions on the files themselves
seem fine.  In the srm.conf file the line:

AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi

is uncommented.  Does anyone have an idea where I might go within our
httpd configurations to get the CGI programs to run in elsewhere on our
filesystem?  Thanks in advance.

Jeff Hamblin
Not the admin here

2. what does this sparc assembly instruction mean?

3. 403 forbidden error and public_html

4. Trouble compiling WorkMan

5. Apache problem, error 403 access denied!

6. PAP/ppp help. i need to see some examples please!

7. 755 userdirs? for ~userdir/public_html?

8. Alsa vs ALi5451

9. Alias -> 403 error - no permission

10. Error 403 - You do not have permission to access (DIRECTORY)

11. 403 Forbiddens on public_html and .cgi

12. help with error 403 no permission

13. 403 Forbiddens on public_html and .cgi