trying to network 2 pc's running linux and windows...

trying to network 2 pc's running linux and windows...

Post by Glen A Stromquis » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:37:22

I just installed a belkin 5 port switch so I can share printers, drives,
internet etc. with 2 pc's. On one pc I am dual booting 2000 and Redhat
8, the other 20009,xp, mandrake 8.1 and SuSE 7.3

Setting up a workgroup when the 2 machines are running windows was a
snap, but I am "networking challenged" in any case, especially when it
comes to setting up the linux os's.

I have set up suse and rh on a LAN before, but that was relatively easy
as it was part of a domain,not a workgroup. First I just want the
machines to be able to ping each other so I can VNC, then I'll worry
about setting up Samba etc for printer and internet sharing.

I havent tried getting the two machines to talk when both are running
linux, since one is pre*ly running XP thats the combination I
want to get working first. I have RH recognizing the local NIC, and have
activated it, but I cant ping the windows machine or vice versa so I am
missing something.

Eventually I want to move the modem to the machine that runs RH and have
the internet connection from that machine only, so that the other
machine would use it for internet connections whether it was running
windows or linux.

Any tips, suggestions & pointers greatly welcomed!!

TIA

1. XDMCP and networked PC's running Lan WorkPlace for Dos and PC-XView

Thanks to everyone who answered, I have my X-station up and running
X11r4 with borrowed memory :)
Now I've moved on to another problem.  We have about 5 or 6 PC's
that are on an ethernet network.  A couple are running DesqView/X, and the
rest are running PC-XView.  The problem is that I cannot get PC-XView
to connect to the RS6000.  DesqView/X works fine.  Unfortunately most of
the PC's don't have the resources to run DesqView/X so I really need to
get PC-XView working.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to the fact that rmsh and rexec
are not working right in PC-XView (even though it works fine with
an SCO box).  So I thought I'd use XDMCP.  But I can find nothing
on how to use it.  PC-XView allows for broadcast, indirect and direct.
But what do I have to do on the RS6000?  And where is the program xdm?
Don't I need that program to do this?

--
Teresa Selling, IUSB, Indiana.

2. installing linux onto sparc w/o access to floppy,cd,network

3. window-pc can't connect with linux-pc using mgetty

4. Wireless CF cards

5. HELP: Networking PC's running different OS's...

6. Problems with ATIMach64 Expression PCI

7. If your PC locks up and you're running NET2 code....try this!

8. Automatically raising a window to the foreground

9. Linux OS's: What are the Linux OS's that run with Windows?

10. Trying to surf the WEB trought LINUX BOX with PC running Win31 and winsock

11. Anyone ever connected a PC running unix to PC lantastic network?

12. Who's trying to run a second 'snort' ?

13. Window 2000 client trying to connect to linux running PoPToP pptpd