connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

Post by Eric Trimme » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I used to have my Win3.1 machine connected to my Linux server through
parallel ports (PLIP). This gave my Win3.1 machine full access to
the Internet. BUT; I've since upgraded to Win98 and PLIP only works
in a DOS window and only with DOS programs and not with any Windows
programs.

Is it possible to connect Win98 to Linux using serial ports; meaning
no modems are involved ?

If so may someone point me in the proper direction as to how to do this.
All the documention I've read assumes that modems will be involved. :(

Remember: If vegetarians eat vegetables;
          beware of humanitarians !!

connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

Post by Raymonds Doetje » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

You can create a null-modem ppp session from your Windows box to your
linux.
It's a bit tricky but dowable. There is some info on this in the mgetty and
the pppd howto's (if I'm correct).

Raymond

> I used to have my Win3.1 machine connected to my Linux server through
> parallel ports (PLIP). This gave my Win3.1 machine full access to
> the Internet. BUT; I've since upgraded to Win98 and PLIP only works
> in a DOS window and only with DOS programs and not with any Windows
> programs.

> Is it possible to connect Win98 to Linux using serial ports; meaning
> no modems are involved ?

> If so may someone point me in the proper direction as to how to do this.
> All the documention I've read assumes that modems will be involved. :(

> Thanks,

> Remember: If vegetarians eat vegetables;
>           beware of humanitarians !!

connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

Post by Eric Trimme » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:38:34 +0200

> Newgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
> Subject: Re: connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

> You can create a null-modem ppp session from your Windows box to your
> linux.
> It's a bit tricky but dowable. There is some info on this in the mgetty and
> the pppd howto's (if I'm correct).

> Raymond

Thanks, I'll look into those doc's

                           Web Address: http://et.trimmer.org

Remember: If vegetarians eat vegetables;
          beware of humanitarians !!

connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

Post by Davi » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

hi,

i did it a while ago, and it works perfectly.... check out

http://www.mindspring.com/~kewells/net/

download the null modem driver here. use it with dailup networking over the
null modem. then read the ppp-howto and net3 howto.  i believe net3 howto
had the most useful info somewhere at the bottom of the doc.

its farely simple. believe you need to run pppd -detach defaultroute
$localip:remoteip <speed> <port>  on your linux machine. on your windows
machine set your linux as gateway, choose the right IP, etc.. the usual.
But do read the docs :) its been awhile since i did this..

i use agetty to have my windows dailup log into the linux machine and from
there i start pppd. i'm sure you can have agetty fire up pppd for you tho.
you can also leave out the username/password etc.. its all in the agetty
manual.

good luck,
David

>I used to have my Win3.1 machine connected to my Linux server through
>parallel ports (PLIP). This gave my Win3.1 machine full access to
>the Internet. BUT; I've since upgraded to Win98 and PLIP only works
>in a DOS window and only with DOS programs and not with any Windows
>programs.

>Is it possible to connect Win98 to Linux using serial ports; meaning
>no modems are involved ?

>If so may someone point me in the proper direction as to how to do this.
>All the documention I've read assumes that modems will be involved. :(

>Thanks,

>Remember: If vegetarians eat vegetables;
>          beware of humanitarians !!

connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

Post by elade.. » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Good morning,

Did you manage to do it via Parallel (laplink) connection? Or only
serial (null-modem)?

Thank,
Elad
http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~elad

> i did it a while ago, and it works perfectly.... check out
> http://www.mindspring.com/~kewells/net/

> >I used to have my Win3.1 machine connected to my Linux server through
> >parallel ports (PLIP). This gave my Win3.1 machine full access to

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. connect linux to unix server via serial port

I'm trying to learn how to connect a mandrake-linux 7.2 to our mainframe at
work which is a unix box. The terminals connect through a serial port. On
our windows boxes we have software that causes the connection to work(like
an advanced telnet connection). I would assume that I could cause a telnet
connection through the com port in linux without any additional software but
I don't have a clue how to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

2. 2.1.110 pauses until hitting enter when booting

3. Connect linux laptop to Sparc10 via serial port

4. > 16 MB RAM

5. Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

6. Root window menu gone in mwm

7. Linux - Windows connect via serial ports?

8. How can I disable su?

9. Connect linux laptop to Sparc10 via serial port

10. Doing a STOP+A from headless system, connected via serial port?

11. Connecting to a Netra x1 via serial port

12. Connecting to Sun server via serial port?

13. using solaris to connect, via serial port, to a router