Solution for Linux IP Masquerade users to run Warftpd behind a firewall! =)

Solution for Linux IP Masquerade users to run Warftpd behind a firewall! =)

Post by Mous » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone. =)

I would just like to share a little info with some of you who have been
asking the question "HOW do I run warftpd if I am behind a Linux IP
Masquerade box?"...  Well, after searching around I finally figured it out
(some of you more experienced Linux users might have already done this)...

Here's what you do:

1) visit http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~steve/portforwarding.html and read all
the information there and apply the ipportfw patch to your kernel source
code (that comes with Redhat 5.2).
2) recompile your kernel with the CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW option and
reboot.
3) run the ipportfw program (if you read everything on the page I told you
to go to, you'd know to compile the ipportfw.c program and run it) like
this:

ipportfw -A -t123.45.67.89/21 -R 192.168.0.2/21

Where 123.45.67.89 is your Linux box's real ip address, and 192.168.0.2 is
the internal LAN (not visible to outside world) ip of your Windows box
running the WarFTP Daemon...

That's it!  Now you'll be able to use Warftpd with it's awesome feature-set
and extreme speed increase over that slow Wu-FTPd and it's complex
configuration matters.
=================
--==update==--  The new Linux 2.2 kernel includes port forwarding in the
source code, so hopefully the next release of Redhat Linux will have this
cool utility builtin!  :)

1. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

I have a Windows-based FTP server (G6) behind a linux firewall box
running ipchain and ipmasqadm portfw rules to enable communication
with the out side world. I can connect to this server from the
outside, but PASV doesn't work. I have rules that allow ports above
1023 for the PASV traffic and I also had put the FTP server on a
haigher port other than 21.  I portfw'd the same port through to the
internal Windows machine running the ftp server as well as forwarding
the ftp-data. I have the ip_masq_ftp module loaded. I'm not sure why
PASV doesn't work.

Also, the other thing I'm trying to get working is communicating with
this same FTP server from a client within another linux-firewalled
(also using ipchains and portfw rules) LAN. I can connect, but can't
get any data transfers going, including directory listings, using
either PASV or regular FTP. I'm not sure if I should be forwarding
ftp-data to the internal machine running the ftp client.

What I ultimately want to do is be able to connect from a client
within on linux firewalled LAN to an ftp server inside another linux
firewalled LAN on a non-standard port and using PASV if possible. Any
help would be appreciated.

2. Packet doubling (send them twice)

3. dening certain ip addresses to http server running behind a IP Masq Firewall

4. Sanyo CD help needed!!

5. Web server behind firewall, IP masquerading, 2.2 kernel

6. 1.1.90 and CDROM ??

7. IP masquerading behind a firewall

8. X Problems & Motherboards

9. IP masquerading/firewalling with a Sparc running Linux?

10. FreeBSD and natd - routing from behind firewall to behind firewall.

11. Quake 2 behind Linux IP masquerade?

12. Age of Empries 2 behind Debian Linux IP Masquerading Server...

13. IP masquerading one Linux box behind another