Remote backup

Post by Red Hat Linux Us » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Would it be possible to do
a remote backup of a RH 4.2
system to a SGI IRIX 4.0.5F
sytem (that has a 4 mm tape)?

thanks in advance
john slimick

Remote backup

Post by Stefan Monnie » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Would it be possible to do a remote backup of a RH 4.2 system to a SGI IRIX
> 4.0.5F sytem (that has a 4 mm tape)?

Yes.

        Stefan

Remote backup

Post by Pat Thoyt » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > Would it be possible to do a remote backup of a RH 4.2 system to a SGI IRIX
> > 4.0.5F sytem (that has a 4 mm tape)?

> Yes.

>         Stefan

If you are going to be so helpful, why do you bother wasting the
bandwidth of our networks with your useless postings. I assume that
you don't actually know how to answer his question but want to seem
like a smartarse.

*er.

To the original post:

You can do that. You should lookup GNU tar(1) and rmt. Basically
tar will use rsh to controll the remote tar drive and pipe the data
to it. You will need to be able to use rsh as a user with write
access to the tape device (eg: root)

Then it's something like:

but check the man page for the syntax first.

Note that GNU tar uses /etc/rmt to actually control the drive. So
your IRIX will need to have this. Also I heard some Linux systems have
a problem finding rmt because it got installed in /sbin. If this is the
case a link from /etc/rmt to the executable shoudl fix it.

--
Pat.Thoyts     reply to me at BBSRC dot ac dot uk or rot13 Reply To:
PGP key at http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. ?Automating backup + remote backups?

I'm trying to automate (as much as possible) daily backups using Ultrix 4.1.

I've got things set up so backup is started via /etc/crontab, but have
been unable to get the procedure to respond to input from the console.
(i.e When /etc/dump says there's no tape in the drive I can't work out
how to let keys typed at the console to be directed to /etc/dump).

I'd also like to backup a number of other machines onto a centrally
located tape drive. Any hints on a sensible approach?

Thanks for your help

Phil

--

University of New England
Northern Rivers

2. IBM & lost HD *************

3. remote backups ?

4. Help, vm mail reader is not working

5. Howto do remote backup for Linux?

6. xconsole can't open /dev/console?

7. remote backup

8. secure (g)libc gethostbyname

9. remote backup ksh script

10. Help with remote backup hostname:/dev/st0

11. FreeBSD 3.2 remote backup !!!help

12. HELP with remote backup

13. Remote Backups (Servers, Permissions and .rhosts)