NFS Mounts not visible

Post by Ignoramus1496 » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:05:47

I have a particular server. It mounts three NFS shares. They mount
successfully upon reboot and stay mounted and accessible.

All good, EXCEPT the mounts are not visible when I type "mount". That
causes my self monitoring scripts to complain and I do not like it.

So, why would a directory be mounted from fstab, but not visible in
mtab?

I am using Ubuntu Gutsy.

NFS Mounts not visible

Post by Nicolas BOUTHOR » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:25:05

Ignoramus14968 a crit :

Quote:> I have a particular server. It mounts three NFS shares. They mount
> successfully upon reboot and stay mounted and accessible.

> All good, EXCEPT the mounts are not visible when I type "mount". That
> causes my self monitoring scripts to complain and I do not like it.

Do they show up in cat /proc/mounts ?

--
Nicolas Bouthors -=- Tel : 06 20 71 62 34 -=- Fax : 01 46 87 21 99

NFS Mounts not visible

Post by Ignoramus2597 » Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:31:20

Quote:> Ignoramus14968 a crit :
>> I have a particular server. It mounts three NFS shares. They mount
>> successfully upon reboot and stay mounted and accessible.

>> All good, EXCEPT the mounts are not visible when I type "mount". That
>> causes my self monitoring scripts to complain and I do not like it.

> Do they show up in cat /proc/mounts ?

Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

Thanks.

NFS Mounts not visible

Post by Nicolas BOUTHOR » Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:40:30

Ignoramus25976 a crit :

Quote:> Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

This happened to me once when the mounts are done before / has been
remounted read + write.

What strange distribution do you use that mounts nfs before / is mounted
rw ?

        Nico

Note : this also could indicate that your / has been remounted RO after
an error. Check dmesg.

--
Nicolas Bouthors -=- Tel : 06 20 71 62 34 -=- Fax : 01 46 87 21 99

NFS Mounts not visible

Post by Ignoramus2597 » Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:55:39

Quote:> Ignoramus25976 a crit :
>> Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

> This happened to me once when the mounts are done before / has been
> remounted read + write.

> What strange distribution do you use that mounts nfs before / is mounted
> rw ?

I am not sure if your diagnosis is correct. Could be something
else.

That server runs ubuntu gutsy.

NFS Mounts not visible

Post by Keith Kelle » Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:44:49

>> Ignoramus25976 a crit :
>>> Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

>> This happened to me once when the mounts are done before / has been
>> remounted read + write.

>> What strange distribution do you use that mounts nfs before / is mounted
>> rw ?

> I am not sure if your diagnosis is correct. Could be something
> else.

Like the Note: that Nicolas wrote, that you snipped, that it could be an
error with the / filesystem, so it's still mounted read-only?  Did you
check that / is mounted rw?

--keith

--

(try just my userid to email me)

1. local (directory) mounts through nfs-export not visible

system: aix 4.3.3 on server, clients are aix 4.3.3, irix 6.5, solaris

following scenario:

# server:
1. local mount /data -> /usr/data
-> contents of data is visible in /usr/data with no problems at all

2. nfs export host1 -> /usr/data (access-settings are ok!)

# client:
existing local directory /home/username/data
nfs-mount host1:/usr/data -> /home/username/data
-> no contents from the export are visible - why?

(i MUST export the local mount through the nfs - linking does not
work, the mount is supposed as addition to the existing system of
mounts ...)

how can i solve the problem?

thx4hlp
peter

2. installing ddd

3. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

4. LILO version 21.6 released

5. nfs shares not visible in E220R machines

6. Open all ports.

7. trouble mount nfs share from linux nfs server, protocol not supported

8. Help - setup Apache & CGI

9. can I chown(1) an NFS-mounted file to a user *not* on the NFS server

10. NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

11. nfs mounted fs does not include mounted filesystems

12. NFS mount problems: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

13. nfs mount to a nfs mount fails