Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by Frank Keene » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00




>I've heard the possibilities of using Linux to support 256 ports in one system.
>But I've no idea which multiport vendor is best suit for supporting 256 ports
>in a Linux box.  

Some have clamed that four 16 port Cyclade or Boca boards would work allowing 64
ports. I have not heard of anything that would allow 256. If you find something
please let me know also.

--
*************************************************************

Calcom Communications                http://www.calcom.com
115 W. California Blvd., #411
Pasadena, CA 91105

 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by bad » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00



>I'm cuurently in the process of evaluating the most cost effective platform for
>our Internet Service Provider business.  Linux came out as our top choice.
>I've heard the possibilities of using Linux to support 256 ports in one system.
>But I've no idea which multiport vendor is best suit for supporting 256 ports
>in a Linux box.  

>Can anyone outthere give me some pointers for this?

>Thanks for any help!

I personally have never seen any multiport cards for more than 8 ports. For
that many ports you really ought to be looking at a terminal server (Ie.
Xyplex)
that people dial into and then once connected rlogin into the Linux box.

Bernie

 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by bad » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00



>I'm cuurently in the process of evaluating the most cost effective platform for
>our Internet Service Provider business.  Linux came out as our top choice.
>I've heard the possibilities of using Linux to support 256 ports in one system.
>But I've no idea which multiport vendor is best suit for supporting 256 ports
>in a Linux box.  

>Can anyone outthere give me some pointers for this?

>Thanks for any help!

I personally have never seen any multiport cards for more than 8 ports. For
that many ports you really ought to be looking at a terminal server (Ie.
Xyplex)
that people dial into and then once connected rlogin into the Linux box.

Bernie

 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by Kim N » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00


I'm cuurently in the process of evaluating the most cost effective platform for
our Internet Service Provider business.  Linux came out as our top choice.
I've heard the possibilities of using Linux to support 256 ports in one system.
But I've no idea which multiport vendor is best suit for supporting 256 ports
in a Linux box.  

Can anyone outthere give me some pointers for this?

Thanks for any help!

 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by Matthew Crav » Mon, 02 Oct 1995 04:00:00



>I personally have never seen any multiport cards for more than 8 ports. For
>that many ports you really ought to be looking at a terminal server (Ie.
>Xyplex)
>that people dial into and then once connected rlogin into the Linux box.

While I do agree that a terminal server is probably the best way to go
for somthing like this (and I am partial to Cisco boxes myself, except

does list 16-port ISA/EISA and PCI cards in their ad (for $899 and
$1078 list, respectively).

/MC

--
Matthew Cravit,               | "Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum
DePaul University, Chicago IL |  soli proscripti catapultas haberunt."

 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by Greg Unger » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00



>I personally have never seen any multiport cards for more than 8 ports. For
>that many ports you really ought to be looking at a terminal server (Ie.
>Xyplex)

I don't wish to sound like an advertisment, but, Stallion has multiport
serial boards (supported drivers for Linux) that go up to 64 serial ports
per ISA, EISA or MCA slot. (Stallion also has a PCI board that goes up to
32 ports per slot).

Off-course the choice of ethernet terminal server or multiport serial
board will depend on exactly what you want to do...

Seeya
Gerg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: I do not speak for Stallion Technologies.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stallion Technologies Pty Ltd                      PHONE:   +61 7 3270 4271
33 Woodstock Rd, Toowong, QLD 4066, Australia      FAX:     +61 7 3371 8881

 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by Steve Marti » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Quote:>Off-course the choice of ethernet terminal server or multiport serial
>board will depend on exactly what you want to do...

Remember, though, that either way you go, sooner or later you're gonna
need all those serial ports, either on your main Linux box or on the
terminal server.
 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by Keith Chuva » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00


: >that people dial into and then once connected rlogin into the Linux box.

: While I do agree that a terminal server is probably the best way to go
: for somthing like this (and I am partial to Cisco boxes myself, except

How aobut using a second Linux box *as* a terminal server?  I recently tried
this, and most everything worked fine *except* SLIP/CSLIP and tia, which
confounded me.  How does one allow home accounts to be on one machine and
SLIP functionality on another (the ad-hoc terminal server)?  I've put my
Cyclades card back in the primary machien for the time being, but I'd
sure like to go back to this setup; performance on the main machine was
really cookin' while the modem traffic was offloaded....

Any ideas?

kgc

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Keith G. Chuvala     | Phone: (316) 221-8274       | CIS: 71333,2654
 Southwestern College | Fax:   (316) 221-8224       |  "Semper ubi

 Winfield, KS 67156   | http://www.sckans.edu/~kgc/ |      -- Mom
----------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Recommedation for Multiport that would support up to 256 ports in LInux

Post by Ed Toivan » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Quote:>But I've no idea which multiport vendor is best suit for supporting 256 ports
>in a Linux box.  

>Can anyone outthere give me some pointers for this?

I have posed this question myself, but never did find the answer.  The only
company that has that sort of connection is Galacticomm, the BBS people.  They
have a nice chassis for 16 modems, or serial cards. which multiply your
connections to 256 lines.  

I have no idea whether they have linux drivers or not, but heres hoping!

Let us know your results, though, if anything turns up.

Ed