Samba works - in one direction

Post by Rafe » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:09:17

Attempting to use Samba to share between a debian
linux box and a Windows 2000 box.

After some effort, I can see my (debian) shared directory
in Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K box.  I can
create files (on the Win2K box) in this directory and
read them from debian.

But so far, attempts to mount the Win 2K shares under
debian Linux have failed.

Command "smbclient -L debian" shows what looks like
the right info.

But "mount" and "smbmount" of the Win2K share don't
work.

I've worked through the tests and exercises in
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/DIAGNOSIS.txt.gz,
and all of them work fine.

Any clues??  Maybe something in my Win2K setup?

rafe b.

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 09:14:01

> Attempting to use Samba to share between a debian
> linux box and a Windows 2000 box.

> After some effort, I can see my (debian) shared directory
> in Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K box.  I can
> create files (on the Win2K box) in this directory and
> read them from debian.

> But so far, attempts to mount the Win 2K shares under
> debian Linux have failed.

> Command "smbclient -L debian" shows what looks like
> the right info.

what does

smbclient -L <w2k name>

say

karl.

Samba works - in one direction

Post by Rafe » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 13:31:09

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 00:14:01 +0000, Karl Heyes

>> Attempting to use Samba to share between a debian
>> linux box and a Windows 2000 box.

>> After some effort, I can see my (debian) shared directory
>> in Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K box.  I can
>> create files (on the Win2K box) in this directory and
>> read them from debian.

>> But so far, attempts to mount the Win 2K shares under
>> debian Linux have failed.

>> Command "smbclient -L debian" shows what looks like
>> the right info.

>what does

>smbclient -L <w2k name>

>say

>karl.

Ah, yes.  There's a problem here but I don't know how to
fix it.  If I use the Windows workstation's name, Linux (samba)
apparently uses DNS and uses a completely bogus IP
address.  (Well, not entirely bogus -- it's a real IP address,
just not the one I want!)

If, instead, I use the IP address assigned via DHCP to the Win2K
box, then the command

smbclient -L 198.162.1.102

yields the message

session request to 198.162.1.102 failed  (Called name not present.)

rafe b.

Samba works - in one direction

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 20:56:21

Hi!,

> On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 00:14:01 +0000, Karl Heyes

> >> Attempting to use Samba to share between a debian
> >> linux box and a Windows 2000 box.

> >> After some effort, I can see my (debian) shared directory
> >> in Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K box.  I can
> >> create files (on the Win2K box) in this directory and
> >> read them from debian.

> >> But so far, attempts to mount the Win 2K shares under
> >> debian Linux have failed.

> >> Command "smbclient -L debian" shows what looks like
> >> the right info.

> >what does

> >smbclient -L <w2k name>

> >say

> >karl.

> Ah, yes.  There's a problem here but I don't know how to
> fix it.  If I use the Windows workstation's name, Linux (samba)
> apparently uses DNS and uses a completely bogus IP
> address.  (Well, not entirely bogus -- it's a real IP address,
> just not the one I want!)

> If, instead, I use the IP address assigned via DHCP to the Win2K
> box, then the command

> smbclient -L 198.162.1.102

> yields the message

> session request to 198.162.1.102 failed  (Called name not present.)

According to my man page, this is the wrong usage.  You are meant to use the
NETBIOS name for the -L directive.  I would be trying a command like:

smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME -L 198.162.1.102

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 21:45:28

> Ah, yes.  There's a problem here but I don't know how to
> fix it.  If I use the Windows workstation's name, Linux (samba)
> apparently uses DNS and uses a completely bogus IP
> address.  (Well, not entirely bogus -- it's a real IP address,
> just not the one I want!)

> If, instead, I use the IP address assigned via DHCP to the Win2K
> box, then the command

> smbclient -L 198.162.1.102

> yields the message

> session request to 198.162.1.102 failed  (Called name not present.)

sounds like you have name resolution issues.  Are we talking share,
user or server type security.  The smb.conf is usefult here.

Who becomes the browse master. look at the os level value.

You can use nmblookup <name> much like you use nslookup

karl.

Samba works - in one direction

Post by Stefan Walthe » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 18:33:53

Hi,

> On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 00:14:01 +0000, Karl Heyes

> >> Attempting to use Samba to share between a debian
> >> linux box and a Windows 2000 box.

> >> After some effort, I can see my (debian) shared directory
> >> in Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K box.  I can
> >> create files (on the Win2K box) in this directory and
> >> read them from debian.

> >> But so far, attempts to mount the Win 2K shares under
> >> debian Linux have failed.

> >> Command "smbclient -L debian" shows what looks like
> >> the right info.

> >what does

> >smbclient -L <w2k name>

> >say

> >karl.

> Ah, yes.  There's a problem here but I don't know how to
> fix it.  If I use the Windows workstation's name, Linux (samba)
> apparently uses DNS and uses a completely bogus IP
> address.  (Well, not entirely bogus -- it's a real IP address,
> just not the one I want!)

> If, instead, I use the IP address assigned via DHCP to the Win2K
> box, then the command

> smbclient -L 198.162.1.102

> yields the message

> session request to 198.162.1.102 failed  (Called name not present.)

Do you run a dns-server, that update the ip-name-resolution dynamicly???

you should try out if the following command works:

works. You will be asked for a password for the user.

Quote:

> rafe b.

Stefan Walther

1. Samba slow one direction only!

Anyone please help (no response in samba newsgroup!),

I'm running Samba 2.0.5a on Suse 6.1.  I've had this problem with Samba versions I've
tried before.  From my Win98 machine, I can copy files to my Samba Server at very good
speeds.  But if I then go to open or copy those files back, it runs but very slow.  Like
if I go to play a MP3 file that is on the Samba box, it is extremely choppy, but will play
all the way through.  Or even to just use DOS type command on a large (1mb) text file.  My
log file looks OK.  There is something about requested 10000 open files but only 1014
available.  If this is important I will send the log file.  Below is my smb.conf.  1 meg
file will open in approx. 1 min 30 sec where as I can copy 127 megs to the Samba box in
approx 2 min.

Thanx for any advice

OLIVER

P.S. Tried with & without oplocks, but to no avail.  Also, with telnet, sz command, it is
not very fast either.  Tried changing workstation to half duplex, no avail.  Do i need to
change Linux nic settings? If so, how?

[global]
   workgroup = PROG
   guest account = nobody
   security = user
   comment = Alice.Wonderland Samba %v
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   map to guest = Bad User
   wins support = no
   oplocks = false

[homes]
   comment = Share for users
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   path = %H
   locking = no
   directory mode = 0777

; The following share gives all users access to the Server's CD drive,
; assuming it is mounted under /cd. To enable this share, please remove
; the semicolons before the lines
;
[cdrom]
   comment = Linux CD-ROM
   path = /cdrom
   read only = yes
   locking = no

2. X Wordperfect doesn't work w/ Linux?

3. NFS mounts only work in one direction

4. Mail make my in.telnetd broken ?

5. IP forwarding working in one direction only !?

6. using flash-memory on Linux workstations?

7. Host to host NIC bonding works only in one direction

8. I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

9. PPP works only in one direction

10. ssh works one direction and not the other

11. NFS mounts only work one direction

12. Help...SAMBA only works one way ---->

13. Samba install directions...