name resolver problems

Post by Christian Hoefe » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

can anybody please help me with name resolving.

I run a LAN of 3 machines and wont to make one a dialup internet router.
I have no local DNS running (so far) resolving by /etc/hosts works for
some applications(telnet, ssh, ping )but for example smtp between local
machines doesn't work.
At dialup the ip-up script of pppd appends a "nameserver <ISP-namesvr>"
line to the resolv.conf, I checked it.

When IPCP is up I try
        fetchmail -v --keep
and get :

fetchmail: 5.0.3 querying pop.btx.dtag.de (protocol POP3) at Tue, 14 Dec
1999 19:24:45 +0100 (MET)
fetchmail: POP3 connection to pop.btx.dtag.de failed: host is unknown
fetchmail: Query status=2
fetchmail: 5.0.3 querying pop.gmx.net (protocol POP3) at Tue, 14 Dec
1999 19:24:45 +0100 (MET)
fetchmail: POP3 connection to pop.gmx.net failed: host is unknown
fetchmail: Query status=2
fetchmail: 5.0.3 querying pop.gmx.net (protocol POP3) at Tue, 14 Dec
1999 19:24:45 +0100 (MET)
fetchmail: POP3 connection to pop.gmx.net failed: host is unknown
fetchmail: Query status=2
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

nslookup however can find both POP-servers (and othter internet hosts)

and
# host pop.gmx.net
 says

pop.gmx.net has address 194.221.183.21
pop.gmx.net has address 194.221.183.22
pop.gmx.net has address 194.221.183.23
pop.gmx.net has address 194.221.183.24
pop.gmx.net mail is handled (pri=50) by mx0.gmx.net

if Icall fetchmail again - same result.
There is one sligth thing: pppd reports at startup
 Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP

Can anyboby give me an idea, please?

Thanks , Christian

1. name resolver problem

On doing ftp or telnet the system responds with unknown host for all hosts
that are not in the /etc/hosts file. The system is not running NIS but is
connected to network. I have put appropraite entries in the /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/netmasks /etc/networks files but it still does not work. Somehow the system
is not resolving the host names which are not present in the /etc/hosts file.

System is SUN sparcstation2 running Sun0s 4.1.3_U1.

I'll be glad if somebody can help me solve this problem.

2. Serial Port reading

3. Name resolver problems on the RS6000

4. aha1542_out failed: Sending DID_RESET for target 1.... HELP!

5. name resolver problems

6. Slackware 2.3.0 - NFS

7. name resolver problem - this may be a bug, but is probably with my ADSL "modem"

8. copy *.txt one_file.txt in Linux

9. Problem with SOCKS / name resolver

10. Name Resolver in Solaris

11. resolver didn′t work with domain names

12. domain name servers and resolvers questions

13. no NFS in 2.2.12 - name resolver broken ?