Syncronous serial link with Linux

Post by Luis Bra » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I need to connect syncronous serial port of a cisco 2514 router to a
PC compatible machine with Linux. I can get a link using two 64kbps
syncronous modems. I will use PPP.

May i use the RS232 (with 16550A UART) of the PC to this modem ? If
not, is there any kind of serial syncronous board that i can use for
this link ?

Thanks in advance,

Luis Bravo

Regards

---
Luis Bravo

Post by Pavel Kalugi » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I need to connect syncronous serial port of a cisco 2514 router to a
> PC compatible machine with Linux. I can get a link using two 64kbps
> syncronous modems. I will use PPP.

> May i use the RS232 (with 16550A UART) of the PC to this modem ? If
> not, is there any kind of serial syncronous board that i can use for
> this link ?

AFAIK, the letter A in "UART" stands for "asynchronous". Nevertheless,
16550A UART allows for up to 115200 bps throughput. Even if you
take into account the sync->async->sync translation, this wont
slow down the communication via a 64kbps external ISDN tranciever.

An alternative is to use internal ISDN card. Drawbacks are:
1) Not all ISDN cards are currently supported.
2) You'll need ippp instead of ppp software.

-Pavel

1. Syncronous serial ports support for Linux ?

Hi All,

Is there support for Linux for syncronous serial ports ?
Basically, I have the following problem:

I have a leased line and two syncronous modems over it (I cannot change them). I would
like to connect two Linux at each end and make a network. I guess that over
the leased line the modems work with the HDLC protocol.

Is there a way to connect two Linux with a sync serial port and establish something
like a SLIP/PPP connection ?

Please answer by e-mail

Thank you!

--

2. UML

3. (cheap) Syncronous serial cards for Linux (V24 or EIA232 or X21bis)

4. Apache 1.2.1 and Method POST

5. Driver for Hitachi syncronous serial chip

6. when are we getting gone home???

7. syncronous serial cards....

8. I'm sorry [it was: Nazi Kernels]

9. Linking Linux boxes via serial link

10. Linux and a syncronous modem

11. WAN syncronous cards for linux ?

12. Help setting up simple serial link win98 to linux

13. How do I ppp link 2 linux PC's thru serial cable?