Why does innd say ME cant bind RCreader Address already in use?

Why does innd say ME cant bind RCreader Address already in use?

Post by Brian Showalte » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I've been trying to get INN set up, and when I run /usr/lib/news/etc/rc.news
INN gives me the above message in syslog.conf.  I've been through the docs
over and over to no avail.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

----------------------
Brian R. Showalter

Post by Howard Goldste » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

 : I've been trying to get INN set up, and when I run /usr/lib/news/etc/rc.news
 : INN gives me the above message in syslog.conf.  I've been through the docs
 : over and over to no avail.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Check out /etc/inetd.conf

The latest slackware distribution comes with it set up like this:

# If you want to read NNTP news via TERM, comment out the nntp
# line below, and use a command like this once the TERM
# connection is up:  tredir 119 my.nntp.host:119
# You'll also want to do this: set NNTPSERVER my.nntp.host ; export NNTPSERVER
nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.nntpd
#

and that's no goodski.

Comment out the nntp line, reboot, and see if INN likes things better.

--

Post by Ingo Prochas » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Comment out the nntp line, reboot, and see if INN likes things better.

Or simply send a -HUP to inetd.

Ingo
--
Ingo Prochaska, Olshausenstr. 20, 24118 Kiel, +049 431 84638

1. innd: ME cant bind RCreader Address already in use

Sep 26 18:05:13 hadar-gw innd: ME outgoing 243
Sep 26 18:05:13 hadar-gw innd: ME ccsetup control:10
Sep 26 18:05:13 hadar-gw innd: ME cant bind RCreader Address already in use
Sep 26 18:17:22 hadar-gw innd: ME descriptors 256
Sep 26 18:17:22 hadar-gw innd: ME outgoing 243
Sep 26 18:17:22 hadar-gw innd: ME ccsetup control:10
Sep 26 18:17:22 hadar-gw innd: ME cant bind RCreader Address already in use
Sep 26 19:22:36 hadar-gw inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already
in use

This is what I get when I try to start innd or use inndstart on a freshly
installed Slackware 2.3 machine. (minor modifications)

I used the inn1.4sec-archive...

I tried with and without the port 119 entry in the inted.conf, but it
seems that is not it. Anyone have any suggestions?

--
-----
Mikael Abrahamsson

Student vid Institutionen f|r Informatik vid Lunds Universitet, Sweden.

2. how to force dial-up?

3. innd doesn't start because can't bind "RCreader"

4. How do you set up a microsoft gamepad in redhat 8

5. INN 2.2, RCreader cant bind

6. Wanted : HP UX System Admin.

7. HTTPd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Address already in use

8. Red Hat Install Problems

9. ERROR: can't bind local address: Address already in use ???

10. Error using bind:Cant assign requested address

11. innd cant bind