suggest network analyzer for total network newbie?

suggest network analyzer for total network newbie?

Post by techgu » Sat, 14 May 2005 00:10:26

Developer - know nothing about networking, except that our internet
access provider tells us our traffic occasionally spikes to some very
high level - maxing out our connection - which some people in the
office sometimes notice.  I need to find out which PC/device the
traffic is coming from and stop it.

The machine which I would prefer to run any monitoring software from is
Linux, with a `uname` providing:
Linux [my_hostname] 2.6.1-1.65smp #1 SMP Fri Jan 30 17:50:02 EST 2004
i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Looking for something that will help me figure this out.  Any suggested
tools?

Thanks.

suggest network analyzer for total network newbie?

Post by Alexander Cloute » Sat, 14 May 2005 07:26:44

Hi,

Quote:> Developer - know nothing about networking, except that our internet
> access provider tells us our traffic occasionally spikes to some very
> high level - maxing out our connection - which some people in the
> office sometimes notice.  I need to find out which PC/device the
> traffic is coming from and stop it.

> The machine which I would prefer to run any monitoring software from is
> Linux, with a `uname` providing:
> Linux [my_hostname] 2.6.1-1.65smp #1 SMP Fri Jan 30 17:50:02 EST 2004
> i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

> Looking for something that will help me figure this out.  Any suggested
> tools?

Well unless you plan on munching on RFC's and learning to digest the output
from (t)ethereal/tcpdump you probably are looking for 'ntop'.  This gives a
_very_ simple read out of each IP and how fast it is shunting things.

Another good one is 'iptraf'.

Have fun

Alex

1. Network Analyser for IPX Network?

Hello all,
    can anyone help me? I recently had a problem with a large IPX LAN.
Machines where data storming, running the wrong protocols, frames etc...
    So does anyone know of any software out there that can analyse a network
(packet sniffer, traffic monitor), but it must be able to work with IPX as
well as other protocols? Or if someone can tell me how to use existing
software that comes with Linux to analyse an IPX network I'll be very
grateful.
Thanks
Al

2. Mathematical Statistics Package

3. newbie: network analyzer

4. miroVIDEO 22SD

5. Total Linux Newbie Has Network Card Troubles

6. eth0 question / dhcp

7. Total Linux Network Newbie: How do you do it?

8. Network transfer rates... whats up?

9. total network newbie- DSL sharing

10. Total Linux Newbie Has Network Card Troubles

11. (total) networking newbie seeks basic DNS instruction

12. please help total linux networking newbie

13. New WebTrends Log Analyzer, Proxy Analyzer & Link Analyzer is now available