can ping ip but can't telnet/ftp

Post by M.H.M. Chi » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi Everybody, anybody,
I am linux newbie and have just installed RH6.1 onto my PII. I am
currently using freeserve.co.uk as  my isp. I have set up my modem( a
supraexpress 56ePro) via linuxconf and can now ping my isp. However, I
can't seem to be able to telnet or ftp to a DNS, ie. server.ac.uk. and I
can't access websites via  Netscape. Is there a problem with
/etc/rsolv.conf or the like?
Can anybody help.
Thank you very much.

can ping ip but can't telnet/ftp

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

When you ping to a ipaddress and if that works and you enter a
hostname+domain name in ftp and netscape, then it could be the
/etc/resolv.conf if you can ping www.yahoo.com then it means something
else.
You should always try pinging with ipaddress first and hostname+domain
second if the second doesn't work then resolving the FQDN does'nt work.

you should add your ISP's DNS servers in there like this:

nameserver w.x.y.z
nameserver w1.x1.y1.z1

theose w,x,y,z's should be changed in the ip address of your ISP's DNS
servers

Raymond

> Hi Everybody, anybody,
> I am linux newbie and have just installed RH6.1 onto my PII. I am
> currently using freeserve.co.uk as  my isp. I have set up my modem( a
> supraexpress 56ePro) via linuxconf and can now ping my isp. However, I
> can't seem to be able to telnet or ftp to a DNS, ie. server.ac.uk. and I
> can't access websites via  Netscape. Is there a problem with
> /etc/rsolv.conf or the like?
> Can anybody help.
> Thank you very much.

1. Canned "ping"

    Within a ksh script, I would like to first determine whether or not
a remote
host is alive before I attempt other network access to it, (file reads
or writes).
The ping command seems to be the logical solution, but if I have to wait
for
the ping command to fail due to network time-out to indicate that the
remote
host is not available I've gained nothing over just letting my other
network
access commands time-out.

    Is there a way to execute ping wrapped in a timer - such as in a
subprocess
that gets killed by it's parent if it doesn't end within a practical
time interval?
It seems to me that that should work, but what I'm really looking for is

someone who would share code that has already been written.

    Much appreciated.

2. Operating Systems Survey!!!!

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. looking for SCSI Domex DMX 1391D driver

5. Semaphores and IPC...

6. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

7. PPP Server headaches!!

8. CGI: apache canned response

9. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work