name resolver problems

Post by seamusc.. » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm setting up a machine with dual boot
capabilities. (NT/Caldera 2.2)  I'm tying into a
hybrid WinNT/SCOUnix network where the DHCP is
handled by the NT side.  I'm not getting a clean
address when I logon the Linux and I have to
reenter the name resolver address for the DNS
every time I come back to Linux.  I have already
updated the hosts table.(have to do it whenever I
lease an address).  Can someone point out what I;m
missing?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

name resolver problems

Post by QuestionExchang » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm setting up a machine with dual boot  capabilities.
> (NT/Caldera 2.2)  I'm tying into a hybrid WinNT/SCOUnix network
> where the DHCP is handled by the NT side.  I'm not getting a
> clean address when I logon the Linux and I have to reenter the
> name resolver address for the DNS every time I come back to
> Linux.  I have already updated the hosts table.(have to do it
> whenever I lease an address).  Can someone point out what I;m
> missing?   Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what
> you know. Learn what you don't.

Hi,    List your nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf and save it!
"nameserver ip.address" is ok.   HTH!

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2463&...

name resolver problems

Post by Seamus J Ca » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've done that.  The boot script seems intent on rewriting it.  Part
of the boot init copies the resolv.conf to resolv.conf.save and the
resets the nameserver to 0.0.0.0.  Can I edit the init script and take
this out without having to spend hours tracking the consequences?

Quote:>> I'm setting up a machine with dual boot  capabilities.
>> (NT/Caldera 2.2)  I'm tying into a hybrid WinNT/SCOUnix network
>> where the DHCP is handled by the NT side.  I'm not getting a
>> clean address when I logon the Linux and I have to reenter the
>> name resolver address for the DNS every time I come back to
>> Linux.  I have already updated the hosts table.(have to do it
>> whenever I lease an address).  Can someone point out what I;m
>> missing?   Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what
>> you know. Learn what you don't.

>Hi,    List your nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf and save it!
>"nameserver ip.address" is ok.   HTH!

>--
>  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
>  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2463&...

1. name resolver problem

On doing ftp or telnet the system responds with unknown host for all hosts
that are not in the /etc/hosts file. The system is not running NIS but is
connected to network. I have put appropraite entries in the /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/netmasks /etc/networks files but it still does not work. Somehow the system
is not resolving the host names which are not present in the /etc/hosts file.

System is SUN sparcstation2 running Sun0s 4.1.3_U1.

I'll be glad if somebody can help me solve this problem.

2. What PCI video boards support 24 bit color?

3. Name resolver problems on the RS6000

4. How to set Decorations and Functions?

5. name resolver problems

6. Dimond Stealth * Pro SE/VL

7. name resolver problem - this may be a bug, but is probably with my ADSL "modem"

8. seg fault.... x86

9. Problem with SOCKS / name resolver

10. Name Resolver in Solaris

11. resolver didn′t work with domain names

12. domain name servers and resolvers questions

13. no NFS in 2.2.12 - name resolver broken ?