direct mail to a program -- problem

Post by Gidd » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get a program going which uses unix' ".forward"
feature to forward mail to a program.  I have a small program now (in perl)
which is to eventually parse through a mail message and it's headers.  In
essence, my own mini version of procmail.  I have it sitting in my user
account on red hat 6.2.  I tried to send a test message in and got an error
saying :

 Address ....... is unsafe for mailing to programs

I search the net for this error, and saw references to "smrsh" files (which
when I searched my system I have several of these)  Could someone fill me in
on what is wrong? how do you make it "safe for programs".

Your time and assistance is tremendously appreciated and I look forward to
your reply,

direct mail to a program -- problem

Post by C.J » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Are you running your perl program with -T option?   ie:
#!/usr/bin/perl -T

If so, it will consider any data that originated outside of the program itself
as tainted and not allow you to do certain "dangerous" things to it. You will
need to un-taint your data.  Don't just remove the -T option since it does
help protect you somewhat from people doing bad things by sending bad data to
you as an e-mail.

>Hi everyone,

>I have been trying to get a program going which uses unix' ".forward"
>feature to forward mail to a program.  I have a small program now (in perl)
>which is to eventually parse through a mail message and it's headers.  In
>essence, my own mini version of procmail.  I have it sitting in my user
>account on red hat 6.2.  I tried to send a test message in and got an error
>saying :

> Address ....... is unsafe for mailing to programs

>I search the net for this error, and saw references to "smrsh" files (which
>when I searched my system I have several of these)  Could someone fill me in
>on what is wrong? how do you make it "safe for programs".

>Your time and assistance is tremendously appreciated and I look forward to
>your reply,

1. directing mail to a program

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get a program going which uses unix' ".forward"
feature to forward mail to a program.  I have a small program now (in perl)
which is to eventually parse through a mail message and it's headers.  In
essence, my own mini version of procmail.  I have it sitting in my user
account on red hat 6.2.  I tried to send a test message in and got an error
saying :

 Address ....... is unsafe for mailing to programs

I search the net for this error, and saw references to "smrsh" files (which
when I searched my system I have several of these)  Could someone fill me in
on what is wrong? how do you make it "safe for programs".

Your time and assistance is tremendously appreciated and I look forward to
your reply,

2. Where to get a font-server?

3. Re-directed mail to a program causes Sendmail to issue the error: 119, unknown mailer error.

4. nfs and magically disappearing files

5. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

6. source code for useradd, usermod, ... utilities?

7. Is there a mail program that can read mail (as root) from /var/spool/mail/xxx?

8. This SLIP ought to work!

9. directing output of programs that are arguments of other programs

10. mail problem with mail program...

11. Problem mailing with direct connect computers

12. "mail" program - necessary to run mail server myself to e-mail to Internet?

13. Mail relay program that TRASHES ALL INCOMING MAIL?