Network with Windows ME computer?

Post by Patt » Thu, 17 May 2007 10:16:36

Right now I have one computer that uses Windows ME.  Since it's a work
computer and soon to be retired (I can't wait!) I still have to make it
work in my network.  So, since I wanted to be able to back up files to my
Ubuntu computer, I tried to get ME to access the shares.  At first it just
gave me an input for a password, no user name.  And, no matter what
password I typed in there, it wouldn't accept it.  So, I set up a user in
the Windows ME system and the same user in Ubuntu.  I set the smb
password using the sudo smbpasswd command.  I re-logged into the ME
computer using that user name and password.  When I then tried to access
the shares in Ubuntu, I got a message that the password expired!
Arghhhhhh!

I know this might be a question for the windows ME NG, but has anyone run
across this sort of thing before?  All my XP computers play real nice with
the Ubuntu one.  Only the ME computer (which I can't get rid of
soon enough!) gives me problems.

Thanks so much.

Patty

Post by johnny bobby be » Thu, 17 May 2007 15:47:36

> Right now I have one computer that uses Windows ME.  Since it's a work
> computer and soon to be retired (I can't wait!) I still have to make it
> work in my network.  So, since I wanted to be able to back up files to my
> Ubuntu computer, I tried to get ME to access the shares.

That's always been a problem. Google's got lots of hits on this.
Something like this should help:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch03_01.html

Or -- just set up the Openssh server on Ubuntu, and use WinSCP (it's an
(s)ftp client) for Windows to transfer your files to the Ubuntu PC.
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/introduction

--Benjamin Franklin
(remove _eh to email)

Post by Patt » Thu, 17 May 2007 22:07:43

>> Right now I have one computer that uses Windows ME.  Since it's a
>> work computer and soon to be retired (I can't wait!) I still have
>> to make it
>> work in my network.  So, since I wanted to be able to back up files
>> to my Ubuntu computer, I tried to get ME to access the shares.

> That's always been a problem. Google's got lots of hits on this.
> Something like this should help:
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch03_01.html

> Or -- just set up the Openssh server on Ubuntu, and use WinSCP (it's
> an (s)ftp client) for Windows to transfer your files to the Ubuntu
> PC. http://winscp.net/eng/docs/introduction

I tried fooling with some settings in WindowsME but gave up on it all.
Not worth all the bother for the few months I'll still need to use
this system.  I'll just back up to one of the XP systems when I need
to.  Thanks.

Patty

Network with Windows ME computer?

Post by Rikishi 4 » Fri, 18 May 2007 03:48:05

Quote:> I know this might be a question for the windows ME NG, but has anyone
> run
> across this sort of thing before?  All my XP computers play real nice
> with
> the Ubuntu one.  Only the ME computer (which I can't get rid of
> soon enough!) gives me problems.

Get WinSCP from the net.
I will allow you to run copies, just like the SCP tools, only with a
graphical interface. With it, you should be able to connect to a Linux
machine and copy your files.

It(s a bit slow (actually, a lot), but if it's only the once-in-a-lifetime
copy...

PS: I never tried WinSCP in Win ME. You're on your own.  :-)

--
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
(von Braun)

Post by Mark Hobl » Sat, 19 May 2007 09:08:02

> computer using that user name and password.  When I then tried to access
> the shares in Ubuntu, I got a message that the password expired!
> Arghhhhhh!

You need to apply the plain password registry key. I have some notes for
Windows '95, but you will need to Google for the Microsoft Windows ME registry
key, because it is not the same and the Windows '95 key will not work.

http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/samba/index.html

Regards,

Mark.

--