Samba server hang makes client hang too

Post by Charlie Gibb » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:20:05

Two of the machines on my LAN are an Amiga running Samba 2.0.7 and
a Linux box running Samba 2.0.5 (Slackware 7, kernel 2.2.13).  I've
mounted an Amiga share on the Linux box and all goes well - unless
the Amiga hangs for any reason.  Then, any attempt by the Linux box
to access the Amiga's share - even something as simple as an ls
command - hangs as well. The hung process on the Linux box cannot
be killed - I have to kill the shell that ran it.

It gets worse.  Even if I re-boot the Amiga, its share is not only
dead as far as the Linux box is concerned, it's poisoned.  Any Linux
process that attempts to access the Amiga share will hang.  The only
way I've been able to restore access from the Linux box to the Amiga
is to reboot the Linux box.

I tried doing a controlled reboot of the Amiga, and accessing its
share from the Linux box before it came back up.  The Linux box
hung, but only until the Amiga had finished rebooting - then the
Linux box reported "Connection reset by peer".  But I still can't
access the mount point for the Amiga share - I get "Input/output
error".  I tried sending smbd a HUP, but no luck.  I'm once again
reduced to rebooting the Linux box.

Is there some way to get things to degrade more gracefully?
And, even more importantly, is there any way to recover short
of rebooting the Linux box?

--

I'm switching ISPs - watch this space.

Post by stepha » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:55:09

> Two of the machines on my LAN are an Amiga running Samba 2.0.7 and
> a Linux box running Samba 2.0.5 (Slackware 7, kernel 2.2.13).  I've
> mounted an Amiga share on the Linux box and all goes well - unless
> the Amiga hangs for any reason.  Then, any attempt by the Linux box
> to access the Amiga's share - even something as simple as an ls
> command - hangs as well. The hung process on the Linux box cannot
> be killed - I have to kill the shell that ran it.
> Is there some way to get things to degrade more gracefully?
> And, even more importantly, is there any way to recover short
> of rebooting the Linux box?

FYI: same here, since at least 1.5 years. If the server hangs, restarts, or
whatever, any Linux clients connecting over Samba hang (to the point of
having to reboot them).

----- stephan

1. Client - Server, Client socket hangs!

My clients hang themselves randomly!

I have a server process running that spews data to a particular port.
The client processes that connect to it simply listen to the data and
do stuff with it (create files, add info to a database). The server
seems to work just fine, and can be verified with a telnet session into
the port, but after a while, and randomly, they hang. Opening a new
telnet session shows that the server is still running, but the client
or the socket between them seems to hang up. I beleive it's a server
setting, not a problem with the code. Perhaps an idle timeout that only
looks at data in one (the quiet) direction, or something like that.

It's running on a Sun E450 running Solaris 2.7.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. AIX 4.1.5 printing problem

3. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

4. EISA/sysfs update

5. X Server hangs because Workman grabs input and hangs

6. Installing RH 5.1 with a Dac 960

7. Sex Change - Making Server as Client and Client as Server

8. RH 6.1 dial on demand

9. win95 hangs with samba as WINS-server

10. linux server completely hangs copying files with samba

11. NFS client hangs when the server goes down

12. NFS locks hang, FreeBSD 5.0 client, Linux server