1. Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)
[posted and mailed]
[ ... ]
I also had great difficulties at first with my Actiontec call-waiting
For the first few hours after opening the box, all I could do was get
a connection at V.34 rates. After a bunch of experimenting, I have
finally managed to get a 56K connect with my provider. My experiments
lead me to believe there is some mistake in the documentation for
I checked in both the printed manual that came in the box, (which,
incidentally is for a DIFFERENT modem, not the model I bought) and the
On page 39 (page 40 of the online version), S109 is documented as:
S109=0 disable all 56K connections
S109=1 K56flex only, V.90 disabled
S109=2 V.90 only, K56flex disabled
My provider uses V.90 equipment, so I set S109 to 2. But I could only
connect at V.34 rates (CONNECT 31200) no matter what I tried. I tried
S109=1 with the same results.
Then, in desperation, I tried S109=0, and bingo! My connections are
44000, which is what I expected.
I would be VERY interested to know if this is true for other folks as
well. Do let me know if you can connect at V.90 rates with your
actiontec, and what the S109 setting is.
P.S. I mailed a similar note to Actiontec on 22 January, and have yet
to hear back from them. Tried calling their tech support yesterday
but didn't get through, despite the fact that "my call was very
important to them."
2. Shop Around
3. Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??
4. netfilter: establish portforward/DNAT while request-attempt
5. Ascertain actual connect speed, and auto indication of disconnect
6. logging facility trouble
7. Alcatel Speed Touch Modem wont Connect
8. Newbie ipchains question
9. How to measure connect speed on modem?
10. looking for way to ask modem what speed it connected at (PPP)
11. PPP modem connect speed?
12. Modem connect speed
13. Problem connecting modem at slower speeds