PPP connection problem, Really need help.

PPP connection problem, Really need help.

Post by Andre » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

First of all, I did try a lot by myself to setup my linux ppp connection.
However I failed. So I have to ask someone to help me.

The dial-in procedure for my ISP like this:
usercode:  my_user_code
password: my_password
(I can solve the tow line above but the following line is difficult for me)
clutha>ppp my_user_code
(The clutha> can be different, sometime is conway> , grey> or something
else)
password: my_password
(I need to click continue button in the dial-in windows in WIN95)

So I really don't know how to add script in my related file for the
'clutha>' line.

Other problem is my ISP uses proxy. So I have to manually set proxy in the
Netscape. But whenever I typed in the proxy , Netscape will tell me "unknown
host name" and refuse to accept it. What's the matter?

I really need someone help me for ppp connection.
Thank you very much in advance.

Post by Clifford Ki » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: So I really don't know how to add script in my related file for the
: 'clutha>' line.

Use

 '>' my_user_code

: Other problem is my ISP uses proxy. So I have to manually set proxy in the
: Netscape. But whenever I typed in the proxy , Netscape will tell me "unknown
: host name" and refuse to accept it. What's the matter?

Use the quad IP address (a.b.c.d) rather than the FQDN.

--

/* Those who can't write, write manuals. */

Post by Akir » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> Other problem is my ISP uses proxy. So I have to manually set proxy
>> in the
>> Netscape. But whenever I typed in the proxy , Netscape will tell me
>> "unknown
>> host name" and refuse to accept it. What's the matter?

> Make sure the internet connection is active, while configuring
> proxies.

Is that a Linux thing or is it Netscape? Netscape for Windoze doesn't
care if you're connected or not.

PPP connection problem, Really need help.

Post by Gene Hesket » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Johann ;

All this html makes it hard to read your message, very hard.  Please use
*only* text mode when posting to a newsgroup.

Quote:> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML>
> &nbsp;
> <BR>&nbsp;
> <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><I></I>&nbsp;
> <BR><I>Other problem is my ISP uses proxy. So I have to manually set
> proxy in the</I>
> <BR><I>Netscape. But whenever I typed in the proxy , Netscape will
> tell me "unknown</I>
> <BR><I>host name" and refuse to accept it. What's the matter?</I>
> <BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
> Make sure the internet connection is active, while configuring
> proxies.</HTML>

Is it case sensitive?  And do  you have all the other proxy info
entered?

And, once you get it going, go get a more recent version of netscape as
the first order of business.  Its up to 4.61 now.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

Post by Jonathan Guthri » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> The dial-in procedure for my ISP like this:
> usercode:  my_user_code
> password: my_password

Why are you doing this?  If your ISP supports Windows 95/98/NT/whatever,
they likely do not require that chat script.  (No Windows user alive is
able to cope with a chat script.)  So, the trick is to put your userid and
password in the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file and to start the pppd as soon as
your modem is connected to the other modem.  You may need to set the
option "-chap" in the options for the pppd for this to work.  (Then again,
you may not.  It depends upon how your ISP is set up.)

This sets up your system to authenticate using PAP.  Once that happens,
the other end will assign you an IP address, PPP figures this part out
automagically, and life will be wonderful.

Quote:> Other problem is my ISP uses proxy. So I have to manually set proxy in the
> Netscape. But whenever I typed in the proxy , Netscape will tell me "unknown
> host name" and refuse to accept it. What's the matter?

If you can't get connected, you're not going to be able to find the proxy
server.  Even if you can, why don't you try it without the proxy.  If you
can get connected to the Internet, I suspect it'll work just fine for you.

You may also have to modify your /etc/resolv.conf file to add their
nameservers.  If they won't tell you what they are, don't worry---you
don't need their namesevers, just set up your own DNS server. Once you do
that, you set your resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 and it'll work just fine.
--

Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/
12703 Veterans Memorial #106, Houston, TX  77014, USA

1. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

Well, this is puzzling--

I've been scratching my head over this for months, reading docs, looking
for non-existent IRQ conflicts because I *thought* I had a problem with
my PCMCIA and/or PPP setup. Just realized that the problem is specific
to *one server*--which happens to be the one I access the most.

* the problem server is in my local domain. It's the one where I have a
shell account (which I often use--or try to use--to ftp stuff back and
forth between home & office), and it's also the primary DNS and the mail
server for the domain.

* the server is an AIX machine which seems up to its job (it's only gone
down once in my 2 years here). When I access it from my office via an
ethernet connection, everything works fine. I can download a multi-meg
file in seconds.

* when I access the net through my PPP connection from home (using a
28.8k PCMCIA modem, dynamic IP addressing), I get reasonable speeds for
http & ftp servers outside the local domain . . . well, slow, but
consistent with what I get in the office.

* when I access this one local server, FTP is mind-numbingly slow (<100
bytes/second!) and I often can't complete a large transfer. Similarly,
if I try to get my mail, it's very slow and tends to stall if there are
a lot of messages.

Any ideas what's causing this? Thanks for any info.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan

2. Web-based email for Linux?

3. 2 ppp connections problem .. help needed!!!

4. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

5. HELP --- really, really strange network problem!!

6. Plug&Play Linux installation help (using Mitsumi quad speed CD-ROM Drive)

7. ppp cable connection really slow, why?

8. Help: lost my mouse after installing a new motherboard

9. Help w/PPP, really weird problems!

10. A semi-dysfunctional PPP connection. Need help plz.

11. I need help with my PPP connection

12. Need Help on PPP Connection

13. Using dip to establish PPP -connection (need help)