Find Computer finds computer, but Network Neighborhood doesn't

Find Computer finds computer, but Network Neighborhood doesn't

Post by Miekel van der Zand » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

My Network Neighborhood often displays all compters in my LAN correctly
(3x W98, 1x Linux) but every now and then looses sight of some or all
computers , while Find Computer in most cases is able to retrieve. The
problem occured under W95 and reappeared after a fresh W98 installation.
Sometimes I get Network Inaccessible errors. Could this be a hardware
problem?

cross posting: comp.os.linux.networking and
comp.os.ms-windows.networking

Thanks for any suggestions,

Peter Bootsma

Find Computer finds computer, but Network Neighborhood doesn't

Post by Brian Schwar » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Could this be a hardware
> problem?

No, it sounds like the classic browsing problem that occurs in Microsoft
style networks, expecially if machines are rebooted frequently.  One of the
systems on your network automatically designates itself as the "browse
master" and maintains a list of the servers on your network.  That list is
what show's up in your network neighborhood.  If the "browse master" is
rebooted for whatever reason, a new master browser gets selected but may not
have the complete list for a while.

Find Computer doesn't rely on the browse list - its sends a message to the
computer name you specify and waits for a response.  As long as your client
can come up with an IP address to use (via WINS/NBNS, lmhosts file, or
broadcast) it will be able to see the specified computer.

If you disable the browse master function on most of your computers (via the
control panel (Win9x), registry (NT), or the smb.conf file (Samba) you will
probably see more consistent results.

-
Brian Schwarz

Quote:> Hi all,

> My Network Neighborhood often displays all compters in my LAN correctly
> (3x W98, 1x Linux) but every now and then looses sight of some or all
> computers , while Find Computer in most cases is able to retrieve. The
> problem occured under W95 and reappeared after a fresh W98 installation.
> Sometimes I get Network Inaccessible errors. Could this be a hardware
> problem?

Find Computer finds computer, but Network Neighborhood doesn't

Post by davefl.. » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

You can also configure your Samba server as a wins server (very easy,
just modify the smb.conf line) and then configure your Windows computers
to use the samba server as a wins server.

Regards,

David Flory

Quote:

> Hi all,

> My Network Neighborhood often displays all compters in my LAN correctly
> (3x W98, 1x Linux) but every now and then looses sight of some or all
> computers , while Find Computer in most cases is able to retrieve. The
> problem occured under W95 and reappeared after a fresh W98 installation.
> Sometimes I get Network Inaccessible errors. Could this be a hardware
> problem?

> cross posting: comp.os.linux.networking and
> comp.os.ms-windows.networking

> Thanks for any suggestions,

> Peter Bootsma

Find Computer finds computer, but Network Neighborhood doesn't

Post by Peter Bootsm » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for helping Brian, it seems to work OK now.

Peter Bootsma & Miekel van der Zande

> >Could this be a hardware
> > problem?

> No, it sounds like the classic browsing problem that occurs in Microsoft
> style networks, expecially if machines are rebooted frequently.  One of the
> systems on your network automatically designates itself as the "browse
> master" and maintains a list of the servers on your network.  That list is
> what show's up in your network neighborhood.  If the "browse master" is
> rebooted for whatever reason, a new master browser gets selected but may not
> have the complete list for a while.

> Find Computer doesn't rely on the browse list - its sends a message to the
> computer name you specify and waits for a response.  As long as your client
> can come up with an IP address to use (via WINS/NBNS, lmhosts file, or
> broadcast) it will be able to see the specified computer.

> If you disable the browse master function on most of your computers (via the
> control panel (Win9x), registry (NT), or the smb.conf file (Samba) you will
> probably see more consistent results.

> -
> Brian Schwarz

> > Hi all,

> > My Network Neighborhood often displays all compters in my LAN correctly
> > (3x W98, 1x Linux) but every now and then looses sight of some or all
> > computers , while Find Computer in most cases is able to retrieve. The
> > problem occured under W95 and reappeared after a fresh W98 installation.
> > Sometimes I get Network Inaccessible errors. Could this be a hardware
> > problem?

1. NT to Linux 'find computer' problem.

OK - I'm in the 'new to Linux' catagory, so be a little forgiving here.  Got
my NT server set up as the domain controller, and a linux box as a client.
ping, telnet and ftp all work just peachy.  Problem is I'm now doing the
samba thing and running into some problems.  From Winblows Explorer I do
'find computer' for 'linuxserver', which it finds and lists as location
unknown.  The I try to 'open' the server and it requests a login.  I provide
a login and get back the message "\\linuxserver is not accessible.  The
account is not authorized to login from this station."  Clues please.

Another little issue.  Do a "shutdown -h now" on the linux box and it hangs
after displaying "shutting down gpm mouse service" , which then leaves me
with no way out (that I know of) other than to turn the damn machine off.
This causes disk checks when I reboot - and I'm VERY nervous about having to
do this.

TIA

rich mycroft

2. 10Base2 & UTP

3. Linux box showing in network neighborhood with wrong computer name localhost

4. Help ! ( Linux on a LapTop )

5. Computer not visible in Network Neighborhood

6. linux 2.6.6, ALSA, snd-via82xx, realplayer - plays too fast

7. HELP: stupid computer can't find initial console

8. script question.

9. Finding a computer's Endian-ness

10. Find a remote computer's mac address?

11. Can't find stdio.h, stdlib.h string.h on computer

12. My computer can't find my partitions

13. two computers can't find each other on thinnet