HELP! Configuring laptop for ADSL, LAN

Post by gina » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 21:22:38

Hi!  I'm a rank newbie at Linux installations.  I'm almost done
installing Debian on a laptop, except that I can't get ADSL to work.
I need help navigating through the ton of documentation available.  A
lot of the documentation I come across is old (2000 or older).  The
rest implies a fixed IP address, which doesn't seem applicable to
ADSL.  Even the DSL HOWTO tells me to start with the Net-HOWTO, which
assumes the reader has a fixed IP address.  This doesn't make sense to
me.

I have one further resource that I could use.  My laptop is a
replacement for an old desktop machine (running Debian, like my
laptop) which handles ADSL beautifully.  Hence, this laptop will be
using the same DSL service and same modem as the desktop it replaces.
Unfortunately, I did not configure the desktop, but I figure that if I
just knew what files to copy from it, I could just try using the
configuration on the desktop as the starting point for configuring the
laptop.  My question is what files do I need?

Thanks!

G.

1. How to configure Linux for a LAN of NT machines + 3COM 3C891 LAN Modem

I have a local network of "Windoze" PCs (NT + Win98) connected to the
internet via a
3COM 3C891 Lan Modem (and an ISP !!!).
Each PC is assigned a static IP address and connects "with a click" to the
internet.

The question is, how do I configure the Linux (Redhat 6.0 with a 2.2.12
kernel) machine
to access the internet (this machine has a dual boot with NT 4) ?

I allready did that:
==============
Configure my static IP address in /etc/hosts :

127.0.0.1       localhost               localhost.localdomain
192.10.1.5      Lanmodem.MYDOMAIN    lanmodem Lanmodem
192.10.1.4      Dev01.MYDOMAIN    dev01 Dev01
192.10.1.3      Dev02.MYDOMAIN     Dev02 dev02
192.10.1.2      Dev03.MYDOMAIN    Dev03 dev03
192.10.1.1      Dev04.MYDOMAIN     Dev04 dev04

Put the IP address of the lan modem as the Gateway (in
/etc/sysconfig/network) :
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"
HOSTNAME="Dev01.MYDOMAIN"
GATEWAY="190.10.1.5"
GATEWAYDEV=""

/etc/HOSTNAME :
Dev01.MYDOMAIN

/etc/resolv.conf:
domain MYDOMAIN
search MYDOMAIN
nameserver 192.10.1.5

I can access the httpd / ftp servers on my Linux machine from the rest of
the network
(I can "telnet connect" too)

BTW I have the same question to configure samba (I was not able to share the
linux disk
with the windows WS) ....
/etc/smb.conf:
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = MYDOMAIN

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server on Linux

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

When I try to "connect a network drive" with NT I see the server running on
the linux box but I
can't connect (even with a valide username/password) ....

2. AOLServer 2.1, anyone out there?

3. ADSL + Lan Problems !!! Help For Newbie!

4. backup question

5. Configuring a linux router on LAN-LAN

6. linuxppc on external USB hard drive

7. HELP: How to configure WAN and LAN network

8. port 15

9. Help with configuring ethernet LAN.

10. Need help configuring Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II

11. Help or info configuring LAN

12. Need help configuring IPtables w/ DMZ, 2 LAN, and INET

13. HELP: Configure XFree86 with Laptop screen and External Display