Problems with second network adaptor / routing

Problems with second network adaptor / routing

Post by Henrik S?nderg?rd Mathiese » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I am using a RealTek 8029 and a RealTek 8139 adaptor in my system running RH
6.0 with kernel 2.2.5. Linux fails to recogninze the second network adaptor
(RealTek 8139). How do i solve the problem. There are no irq conflicts or
other hardware problems.

I will need to route traffic from the 8029 adaptor (DHCP IP, T1 internet
connection) to the 8139 adaptor (Static IP, local network) and the other way
around. What do i need to setup in order to do this.

Henrik Soendergaard Mathiesen

Problems with second network adaptor / routing

Post by Aris Cru » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A couple of things to check
recompiled kernel?
did you add the cards as modules?  probably
print out of your /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf?
What happens after the modprobe, any kernel messages?

If you do a "dmesg |more" it will give you the kernel messages, see what
happens, does it successfully load?

Hope this helps

Aris

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Problems with second network adaptor / routing

Post by QuestionExchang » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am using a RealTek 8029 and a RealTek 8139 adaptor in my
system running RH
> 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5. Linux fails to recogninze the second
network adaptor
> (RealTek 8139). How do i solve the problem. There are no irq
conflicts or
> other hardware problems.

To make Linux recogninzing RealTek 8139:
1. Check if you have module rtl8139 installed. Just see if
there is a file
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/net/rtl8139.o If not, recompile
the kernel whith
CONFIG_RTL8139.
2. add the following line to the file /etc/conf.modules
alias eth1 rtl8139
3. create a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:
DEVICE=eth1
IPADDR=192.168.1.1     #your IP addres here
NETMASK=255.255.255.0  #your netmask here
NETWORK=192.168.1.0    #your netwotk number here
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255 #your broadcast address here
ONBOOT=yes              #if you want this interface up at boot
Thats it. Reboot and than check if eth1 is up. Just type
ifconfig.
Quote:> I will need to route traffic from the 8029 adaptor (DHCP IP,
T1 internet
> connection) to the 8139 adaptor (Static IP, local network)
and the other way
> around. What do i need to setup in order to do this.

Here I need some additional info.
Do you have a subnet of real IP addresses or will use a subnet
of private IP addresses in you LAN? If it`s subnet of private
addresses, then you`ll have to
configure IP masquerading or install some kind of proxy server.
Good luck.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3351&...

1. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

Greetings. Here's my situation: I have a PC running SuSe 9.3 that has
two NIC's. One of these is configured with a static IP such as:
device: eth0
IP: 10.9.81.204
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.192
Default Gateway: 10.9.81.193

This is an "isolated" network. By this I mean that the routers on this
network have extensive access control lists so that only certain
machines on this network can see other machines. There is no access
from this network to the public internet, (the proxy server for the
internet is blocked on this network).

My other NIC is configured to get an IP via DHCP (although I could get
a static IP if that would help). It gets an IP like:
device: eth1
IP: 10.9.16.140
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.9.16.1

This network does have a connection to the public internet through a
proxy server at IP 10.22.2.100.

I can ping and ssh to machines on both networks. Machines on both
networks can see me, even my samba shares. But, I cannot get to the
public internet from my machine, it seems that my connection to the
proxy server is blocked. I suspect it is because my default gateway is
going through eth0 onto the private network. If I remove the default
gateway entry, then I can get to the public internet, but I loose the
connection I have to machines on the "isolated" network network.

Is there some sort of solution that will allow me to have my default
network traffic go to the eth1 adapter configured via DHCP, and still
allow traffic to go through eth0 for the isolated network. Note that
there are about 35 machines I need to connect to on the isolated
network. They have IP's in the 10.9.##. domains, where ## is 52-69. So,
maybe I could use a bunch of route statements to forward traffic to
these machines through the gateway of eth0? Or, maybe I just need to
use a route command to direct the proxy out eth1? I'm kind of at a loss
here, this sort of networking is not my strong suit.

Any help here is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Why did Enterasys drop FreeBSD for Linux?

3. Two adapters, routing problems

4. CBQ on Linux

5. route problem on system using several network adapters

6. IP router

7. Proper routes for linux machine with two network ports to same network

8. workaround for the "kernel must be in the first 8GB" or load as module like..

9. Route problems with Solaris 8 and two different networks

10. routing problem between two network cardsp

11. Problem networking two computers WD8013 - Coax - ifconfig - route- hosts?

12. routing problem between two network cardsp

13. Routing problem with two network card