unable to ping/ssh w/ fedora

Post by Matia » Tue, 10 May 2011 03:53:59

Hi all,

What's going on is I can't ping or ssh from the remote to the local
but I can ping/ssh from the local.  My system has a cable ISP and
a wireless router. I've already tried unplugging the cable and the
router and restarting, and I've tried shutting off the firewall.
What else could be the problem? The OS is fedora.

M.

unable to ping/ssh w/ fedora

Post by Jorgen Grah » Tue, 10 May 2011 04:02:29

> Hi all,

> What's going on is I can't ping or ssh from the remote to the local
> but I can ping/ssh from the local.  My system has a cable ISP and
> a wireless router. I've already tried unplugging the cable and the
> router and restarting, and I've tried shutting off the firewall.
> What else could be the problem? The OS is fedora.

You didn't state your problem clearly enough. What is a "remote" and a
"local"? Where did you ping *to*?  What messages did you get, if any?
What does it mean that your "system has a cable ISP"?
And so on.

/Jorgen

--

\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .

unable to ping/ssh w/ fedora

Post by David Schwart » Wed, 11 May 2011 04:26:25

Quote:> What's going on is I can't ping or ssh from the remote to the local
> but I can ping/ssh from the local. ?My system has a cable ISP and
> a wireless router. I've already tried unplugging the cable and the
> router and restarting, and I've tried shutting off the firewall.
> What else could be the problem? The OS is fedora.

This sounds like normal behavior for typical Internet access through
NAT. What makes you think you have a problem?

DS

unable to ping/ssh w/ fedora

Post by General Schvantzkop » Wed, 11 May 2011 05:52:38

> Hi all,

> What's going on is I can't ping or ssh from the remote to the local but
> I can ping/ssh from the local.  My system has a cable ISP and a wireless
> router. I've already tried unplugging the cable and the router and
> restarting, and I've tried shutting off the firewall. What else could be
> the problem? The OS is fedora.

> M.

How is your router configured? If you want to ssh into the Fedora box from
the Internet you will have to port forward the ssh port to the box. The
standard port for ssh is 22, however unless you have a compelling reason
for using the standard port you should move ssh to a high port. The reason
for moving it is to hide from port scanners, with the standard port you
will see about one break in attempt a day, if you pick a non-standard port
you won't experience any break in attempts unless you are a high value
target.

Pings are usually handled by the router. Typically ICMP responses are
disabled which is why you can't ping your network, if you want to be able
to ping your router you must enable ICMP responses, however be advised
that if you do that you are letting the scumbags know that you exist.

1. Strange SSH halting problem between Fedora Core 2/Fedora Core 3

<snip>

Hi Jon:

Something I noticed today while ssh'ing via another ssh'ed account is that
it doesn't really like multiple-forwarded X connections.

I'll elaborate:

I ssh into my home workstation from work. This connection has been setup to
forward X connections. But then when I try to ssh from the home workstation
to another machine on my home network, I get a timeout similar to what you
describe. The solution is to do the second ssh without forwarding X, ie, by
invoking "ssh -x <server>". I don't know whether this is your problem, but
might be something to look into.

Cheers,
--
 ** Matt van de Werken -- Cricket, Unix, Electronics Enthusiast **
 **   Linux -- Dual Athlon MP1800+ -- Fri, 03 Dec 2004  5:01PM  **

2. Making new nodename stick

3. Unable to SSH or ping

4. Trouble with Linux Boot...

5. unable to get online with Verizon DSL under Fedora

6. viewsonic optiquest v775 modelines

7. SSH into Fedora 5 box and have different desktop

8. please help me.. semafore value doesn't change after fork()

9. Problem X11 forwarding through SSH (Fedora 1)

10. Fedora Core 4 Networking: Ping DNS problem

11. Can't ping by hostname from Fedora Core 5

12. Couldn't able to telnet/ftp/ssh onto Fedora Linux system?

13. Fedora Core 6 cannot ping WinXP LAN