disabling sockets for running processes

Post by Alp » Sun, 31 Dec 2006 08:44:06

Hi,
What are the numbers shown at /proc/pid/fd for sockets or pipes?
Example: socket:[15778]

Is it possible to limit data rate or disable sockets of running
processes? If it is possible, how can I implement it and do I need to
write code in kernel-space?

1. does socket funtion __so_recv run in process?

I am looking at performance issues with a sybase 12.5 database
application running on solaris 2.6.  A tool from rational called
'quantify' is showing that 99% of the cpu cycles are being spent in a
funtion called __so_recv()  which is called by client libraries
related to retreiving data from the socket.

Can anyone shed some light on __so_recv? I cannot tell if this is part
of the sybase ctlib implementation or the solaris tcp implementation.

Thanks

2. Looking for NetBSD on Quadra 700

3. How to run a process in NetBSD with more than 20 sockets

4. RH 6.0 port forwarding

5. socket question - which process opened a socket?

6. route add

7. Socket : which process is using my socket?

8. Solaris x86 FAQ

9. Weird: get a socket connection without a running socket server !

10. How does Linux handle no processes in the run queue (Sentinel process?)

11. How to list all running processes ; How to reparent a process?

12. Start a process from a remote host disconnect and leave the process running

13. How to list all running processes ; How to reparent a process?