***Why can't dial out on my PPP server?

Post by guangh » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I use Redhat 6.0 to setup a PPP server and want it can call back,
now the PPP server is fine to waiting for call in,but  when I dial
out,it report:
'Can't open /dev/ttyS2,the resource is busy'.
I use getty_ps,and set /etc/inittab so:
s2:345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty -D /etc/conf.getty.ttyS2 F115200 vt100

Who can tell me why?and how to set redhat be a PPP server that can call
back.
Thank very much!

***Why can't dial out on my PPP server?

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I use Redhat 6.0 to setup a PPP server and want it can call back,
>now the PPP server is fine to waiting for call in,but  when I dial
>out,it report:
>'Can't open /dev/ttyS2,the resource is busy'.
>I use getty_ps,and set /etc/inittab so:
>s2:345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty -D /etc/conf.getty.ttyS2 F115200 vt100

I do not know how uugetty works, but apparently it is blocking the port.
Get mgetty and use it instead. It will not block the port. If you use
pppd with the lock option (eg in /etc/ppp/options) mgetty and pppd will
live together very happily.

1. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

I recently upgradet to the 2.0.18 kernel from 1.2.13, and decided to
switch from using diald to the kerneld-based dial-on-demand solution
documented in the kerneld READMEs.

Most of the time, my connections come up OK (except for some
irrelevant rumbles that I suspect are due to a misconfiguration
on my ISP's side), but when I try starting ncftp from the command
line, I get this:

--------[snip]---------

NcFTP: nic.funet.fi (101): Network is unreachable

NcFTP 1.9.4 (April 15, 1995) by Mike Gleason, NCEMRSoft.

Tip: If you don't want a .ncrecent file in your home directory, put
the
     command '#unset recent-list' in your .ncftprc file.

ncftp>
--------[snip]---------

then, after some seconds, my modem starts dialling and a PPP
connection gets established. To me, it looks like ncftp times
out immediately, but kerneld processes the package anyway.

Is it possible to devise a workaround for this?

- Peter

2. Building a redundant firewall using OpenBSD.

3. Dial-out with PPP, why doesn't this work?

4. Icons with TWM?

5. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

6. telnet: login as root?

7. PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

8. dcgui got bugs ?

9. PPP problems with multiport dial-in/dial-out server

10. PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW?

11. Can't make SuSE 5.3 PPP Dial In server for WinNT Work

12. PPP dial in --- won't even dial

13. PPP problems - "Dial on Demand" won't dial