Dotted Quad Only Network: Linux to SCO

Post by Jim Tom Po » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to connect Linux box to an SCO server.  We are going
through an NE2000, if that matteres.  When I look at dmesg, all
everything is correct for the NE2000 (according to the people that are
taking windows boxes and tying it to the same network.

I've looked through the doc's, and a book called the Linux
Administrators Guide, and varous HOWTO's..and I still get the same
message:

route doesn't match the netmask.

<or is it vice versus...knew I should have written that down!!>

The SCO box doesn't have anything like DNS or even a name, it just has
numbers, as follows, from the administrator:

My machine is supposed to be:

195.1.200.108 <desk 8 in building 200, computer nest to me is 107 etc>

The SCO machine is supposed to be:

195.1.200.1

The Broadcast address is supposed to be:

195.255.255.255

And the netmask is supposed to be:

255.255.255.0

THAT's it.....  they are getting some windows program to be able to
telnet to the sco machine, but unfortunately, I cannot get any help
from the SCO admin, even though a whole class is using Linux.

The response is " It's not a commercial unix. ''

My last attempt was to follow EXACTLY the steps that were outlined in
the Installation Guide <after the Admin guide didn't seem to help me>,
and the result was the same.

All the documentation seems to vary from the information that I'm
given in that the server ends in xxx.xxx.xxx.0 instead of
xxx.xxx.xxx.1, and that there are names for the server and the
machines on the network.

If anyone can point out to me just where I'm making my mistake, I
would greatly appreciate it.

later,

        Jim Tom Polk

Post by bill davids » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

| I've looked through the doc's, and a book called the Linux
| Administrators Guide, and varous HOWTO's..and I still get the same
| message:
|
| route doesn't match the netmask.
|
| <or is it vice versus...knew I should have written that down!!>
|
| The SCO box doesn't have anything like DNS or even a name, it just has
| numbers, as follows, from the administrator:
|
| My machine is supposed to be:
|
| 195.1.200.108 <desk 8 in building 200, computer nest to me is 107 etc>
|
| The SCO machine is supposed to be:
|
| 195.1.200.1
|
| The Broadcast address is supposed to be:
|
| 195.255.255.255

Start by changing this to 195.1.200.255.

| And the netmask is supposed to be:
|
| 255.255.255.0

Well, that looks right, 195 > 191, so you have a class C network.
--

I will support laws and technology which limit what you are allowed to
hear, if you will oppose laws and technology limiting what I can say.

Dotted Quad Only Network: Linux to SCO

Post by Ender Wigg » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>My machine is supposed to be:
>195.1.200.108 <desk 8 in building 200, computer nest to me is 107 etc>
        Ok.
>The SCO machine is supposed to be:
>195.1.200.1

        OK. Same logical subnet (see subnet mask below).
Quote:>The Broadcast address is supposed to be:
>195.255.255.255

        I don't think so. :-) Your directed subnet broadcast is
195.1.200.255 and your ann-networks broadcast is 255.255.255.255.
Quote:>And the netmask is supposed to be:
>255.255.255.0

        OK. Standard Class C subnet mask.

        Try changing your broadcast address and see if that helps.
Everything else looks OK.

--

"'With liberty and justice for all.' What part of 'all' don't you
understand?" Rep. Patricia Schroder (D-CO) speaking during debate on

Dotted Quad Only Network: Linux to SCO

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to connect Linux box to an SCO server.  We are going

>I've looked through the doc's, and a book called the Linux
>Administrators Guide, and varous HOWTO's..and I still get the same
>message:

>route doesn't match the netmask.

>195.1.200.108 <desk 8 in building 200, computer nest to me is 107 etc>

>The SCO machine is supposed to be:

>195.1.200.1

>The Broadcast address is supposed to be:

>195.255.255.255

>And the netmask is supposed to be:

>255.255.255.0

That's an anomaly. This is what you _should_ have:

network address: 195.1.200.0
netmask:         255.255.255.0
broadcast:       195.1.200.255

Something like:

ifconfig eth0 195.1.200.108
route add 195.1.200.0

should do the trick. Your sysadm should have had no trouble
figuring that out. "It's not a commercial UNIX" as comment
means "I don't know but won't admit it".

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |

Dotted Quad Only Network: Linux to SCO

Post by Jim Tom Po » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Thanks everyone with the problem I was having connecting the kiddie
unix <professors words, not mine> with the sco box.  It was something
as simple as changing 195.1.200.1 to 195.1.200.0.  Up came the network
for me, other machines the same, also did an xhost + per someone elses
advice and telnet into the SCO machine and run X apps off of it.

Nice.  It complains mightily about the non-sco colors, and lack of
fonts, but it works <we are having to use VGA an it's using SVGA>.

The only real problem was when I ran the scolock program, and got
myself locked out of my own machine, then the SCO server crashed and
would not take anymore requests.  I don't know what I did, but now
nobody can log into the server <grin>.  Linux didn't take the blame on
this one however.

Wish me fun.  I'm assigned creating a sort of minilinux dist for the
class and students.  Got it down to 7 zipped floppies.

later,

        Jim Tom Polk

1. Dotted Quad only Network: Linux to SCO

In your /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 there is an ifconfig statement. Leave out the
broadcast and netmask address altogether.

eg.
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 IPADDRESS

Let it see if it can figure out its own netmask. Netmask and broadcast
are optional parameters to ifconfig.

--
James N. McClatchey (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
Architectural Aluminum. Custom Fabrication. Paint, Powder Coating, Anodizing.

2. tftp server

3. dot mysterious permission problem dot dot

4. Internal compiler fatal error 6

5. dot and dot-dot files

6. netdate/timed problem

7. DNS: bad dotted quad!

8. mod_perl and directory alias problem

9. Quad Ethernet SBus and Quad FastEthernet SBus adapters in Ultra2

10. SCO Openserver 5.0 on dual or quad Penitum or Pentium Pro200...

11. Hot Iron DEC Prioris ZX 6000MP Quad processor runs like cold metal under SCO OS5

12. Stop Transversal of a Directory... the dot dot problem

13. Dot pitch and dot orientation.