Problems with dialin access and uugetty

Post by Kevin Hal » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to configure my modem to allow for dialin access.  I read the
Serial HOWTO and followed the getty MINI-HOWTO in setting up uugetty to
listen for incoming calls on /dev/ttyS0 (my modem).

Problem is, my modem never picks up the call!  I don't know if it's the
uugetty or something else, I've configured my modem and followed
the mini-HOWTO to the letter, setting up the proper lines in uugettydefs
and the inittab.  It seems as though it's not even listening to the
device, but everything has been configured according to the mini-HOWTO.
(I even rebooted to make sure the inittab was restarted).

For anyone who has gotten dialin to work, do you have any good steps
to getting this set up or other sources which may help me out?  Any
assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

/Kevin

1. dialin configuration problems Linux 2.0.22 agetty and uugetty

I am trying to configure a serial line for dialin.  I have read and followed
instructions for both uugetty and agetty.  Neither work.  uugetty is
repeatedly respawned.  With full debugging turned on the most I have learned
is:
"Jan 16 17:28:04 b0bar uugetty[15961]: D_RUN: Caught TERM signal"
I have no idea who/what sends these term signals.

I have gotten further with agetty.

d2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -h -w -I 'ATE0Q1&D1&C1S0=2\015' 38400 ttyS1 vt100

and similar lines in inittab autoanswer and run login BUT the line is killed
within about 30 seconds, perhaps by init restarting the agetty.  The time to
live seems to be determined by the Linux box and not the information typed
from the remote site.  I have gotten through the login to a shell prompt
and run a few commands (ls , ps) before the line dropped.

I have read many of the FM's associated with getty's.  Many either apply to
earlier Linux's (1.3, 1.2 etc.) or other versions of agetty.  I am running

more features than the latest agetty (agetty-1.9.1a).  Many of the things
alleged in the FM's do not seem to apply to my software.

Ideally I would like to run uugetty to be able to use the modem for outgoing
calls too.  I also like the uugetty SCHED feature.

Any advice or encouragemnent?  I know lots of people are using the dialin
features of Linux.

John

--
John M. LoSecco                 Phone:(219)631-6044          Fax:(219)631-5952
Physics Department              HEPnet/SPAN: UNDHEP::LOSECCO or 47344::LOSECCO

Notre Dame, Indiana 46556 USA

2. Encryption/Decryption of UNIX password

3. Setting uugetty dialin on a RedHat Linux system

4. dlopening modules and libltdl

5. uugetty sporadically answers dialin ???

6. X won't work for users

7. getty_ps/uugetty dialin config

8. Segmentation Fault

9. MGETTY or UUGETTY dialin

10. Gettyin uugetty to work to allow dialin

11. SUMMARY: solved dialin/uugetty probelms. detailed solution.

12. Mandrake 7.0 Dialin Modem uugetty or mgetty - confued

13. set up dialin and dialout from uugetty