PPP, Leased Line, Help!

Post by christia » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I want to make a ppp connection between two linux machines over a permanent
telephone line (leased line, (like a nullmodem connection)).

First I tryed to configure both computers via a serial Nullmodem cable, ...
it worked fine, ppp connection, pinging.. everything proberly...

Next I tryed to configure both modems (Elsa Microlink TL PRO) via Minicom to
make a connection,... it worked fine, connection established...

Last I tryed to configure ppp over the line... connection established... but
no ppp device....
    /var/log/warn: LCP: timeout sending Config-Request

First machine:
File: /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1
crtscts, lock, debug, passive, defaultroute, 192.168.1.100:192.168.1.50,
persist
(every word in the next sentence)

Second machine
File: /etc/ppp/option.ttyS0
crtscts, lock, debug, passive, proxyarp, 192.168.1.50:192.168.1.100, persist

Whats wrong? ifconfig: no ppp device there!
with the first machine i can login into internet also probably via a
provider....

I dont know any way out!

Please help!

Thank you very much in advance!

Christian

PPP, Leased Line, Help!

Post by Larry River » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi

> I want to make a ppp connection between two linux machines over a permanent
> telephone line (leased line, (like a nullmodem connection)).

> First I tryed to configure both computers via a serial Nullmodem cable, ...
> it worked fine, ppp connection, pinging.. everything proberly...

> Next I tryed to configure both modems (Elsa Microlink TL PRO) via Minicom to
> make a connection,... it worked fine, connection established...

> Last I tryed to configure ppp over the line... connection established... but
> no ppp device....
>     /var/log/warn: LCP: timeout sending Config-Request

> First machine:
> File: /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1
> crtscts, lock, debug, passive, defaultroute, 192.168.1.100:192.168.1.50,
> persist
> (every word in the next sentence)

> Second machine
> File: /etc/ppp/option.ttyS0
> crtscts, lock, debug, passive, proxyarp, 192.168.1.50:192.168.1.100, persist

> Whats wrong? ifconfig: no ppp device there!
> with the first machine i can login into internet also probably via a
> provider....

> I dont know any way out!

> Please help!

> Thank you very much in advance!

> Christian

Have you looked at
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Leased-Line

1. Combining leased lines into a super leased line

Hi all

I was struck by a great idea the other day, but I haven't been able to
find any information on it. What I would like to do is combine 2 leased
lines from our Linux RH 4.2 gateway into a super leased line, thus
giving us cheap bandwidth. Eached line has its own static IP number. I
realise that this would obviously involve load balancing software on our
gateway as well as on the ISP.

It seems like a simple idea, has anyone done anything like this? Or am I
missing something fundamental?

Thanks
Mike (still climbing the learning curve :) )

2. Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x over Apache Proxy

3. HELP: PPP <-> Leased Line <-> Netblazer

4. CK-Ledger v.0.5.1 released

5. Need help setting up PPP for leased line

6. NT4.0 too flawed to fix - official

7. help , how to set ppp server on linux under leased line

8. dosemu with Diamond Stealth 64 PCI

9. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)

10. PPP leased line loopback problem, etal

11. Leased line and ppp --- no prompt

12. PPP over leased line

13. Using SLIP/PPP over Async Analog Leased LInes, How?