Pinging anywhere doesn't work...

Post by kaiku » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I followed the steps in the Caldera knowledgebase about "How to tell if
pcmcia is installed and working" - Ref. #991118-0006.

All these params are set, and seem to look OK, but I can't reach the
outside world yet (ie Internet). Netscape times out, and I can't ping
anywhere.

rpm -qa | grep pcmcia
---------------------
pcmcia-cs-3.1.8-1

lsmod
-----
3c589_cs 8392 1
i82365 29508 2
pcmcia_core 43872 0 [3c589_cs ds i82365]
etc....

etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file
-------------------------
PCMCIA="yes"
PCIC="i82365"
PCIC_OPTS=
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS="-f"

On install, I inserted the Lizard boot disk, and after the Kernel
loaded, I then inserted the Modules disk to load the PCMCIA card, and
ran setup from the CD-ROM. I currently get a green light on the card.

My setup is:
------------
Toshiba Laptop - Tecra 8000
3com589ET network card (pcmcia)
Caldera eDesktop 2.4

Settings > COAS > NETWORK > Ethernet Interfaces
Network Device: eth0
PNP Configuration: Disabled
Interface Address: 10.792.10.140
Network mask: 255.255.240.0
Broadcast Address: 10.192.15.255
Default route: Enabled
Default gateway: 10.192.1.1
Init at boot time: Enabled

What am I overlooking, or have misconfigured?

Regards,

Scott

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Pinging anywhere doesn't work...

Post by David K. Mean » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 10:53:21

Quote:> I followed the steps in the Caldera knowledgebase about "How to tell if
> pcmcia is installed and working" - Ref. #991118-0006.

> All these params are set, and seem to look OK, but I can't reach the
> outside world yet (ie Internet). Netscape times out, and I can't ping
> anywhere.

> rpm -qa | grep pcmcia
> ---------------------
> pcmcia-cs-3.1.8-1

> lsmod
> -----
> 3c589_cs 8392 1
> i82365 29508 2
> pcmcia_core 43872 0 [3c589_cs ds i82365]
> etc....

> etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file
> -------------------------
> PCMCIA="yes"
> PCIC="i82365"
> PCIC_OPTS=
> CORE_OPTS=
> CARDMGR_OPTS="-f"

> On install, I inserted the Lizard boot disk, and after the Kernel
> loaded, I then inserted the Modules disk to load the PCMCIA card, and
> ran setup from the CD-ROM. I currently get a green light on the card.

> My setup is:
> ------------
> Toshiba Laptop - Tecra 8000
> 3com589ET network card (pcmcia)
> Caldera eDesktop 2.4

> Settings > COAS > NETWORK > Ethernet Interfaces
> Network Device: eth0
> PNP Configuration: Disabled
> Interface Address: 10.792.10.140
> Network mask: 255.255.240.0
> Broadcast Address: 10.192.15.255
> Default route: Enabled
> Default gateway: 10.192.1.1
> Init at boot time: Enabled

> What am I overlooking, or have misconfigured?

  I sure hope that you mistyped.  The I/F address cannot be
true.  10.792.x.x is blatantly illegal.
  If that is not the problem, are you trying to ping a remote
site by name or by number?  You should try numbers first
(10.192.1.1 is a good first try), so that you eliminate DNS
lookup problems.
  Good luck.

Pinging anywhere doesn't work...

Post by kaiku » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:36:16

Yeah, that definately was a mis-type. It's 192 - not 792.

I have tried numbers, but that still doesn't work.

Thanks,

Scott

> > I followed the steps in the Caldera knowledgebase about "How to
tell if
> > pcmcia is installed and working" - Ref. #991118-0006.

> > All these params are set, and seem to look OK, but I can't reach the
> > outside world yet (ie Internet). Netscape times out, and I can't
ping
> > anywhere.

> > rpm -qa | grep pcmcia
> > ---------------------
> > pcmcia-cs-3.1.8-1

> > lsmod
> > -----
> > 3c589_cs 8392 1
> > i82365 29508 2
> > pcmcia_core 43872 0 [3c589_cs ds i82365]
> > etc....

> > etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file
> > -------------------------
> > PCMCIA="yes"
> > PCIC="i82365"
> > PCIC_OPTS=
> > CORE_OPTS=
> > CARDMGR_OPTS="-f"

> > On install, I inserted the Lizard boot disk, and after the Kernel
> > loaded, I then inserted the Modules disk to load the PCMCIA card,
and
> > ran setup from the CD-ROM. I currently get a green light on the
card.

> > My setup is:
> > ------------
> > Toshiba Laptop - Tecra 8000
> > 3com589ET network card (pcmcia)
> > Caldera eDesktop 2.4

> > Settings > COAS > NETWORK > Ethernet Interfaces
> > Network Device: eth0
> > PNP Configuration: Disabled
> > Interface Address: 10.792.10.140
> > Network mask: 255.255.240.0
> > Broadcast Address: 10.192.15.255
> > Default route: Enabled
> > Default gateway: 10.192.1.1
> > Init at boot time: Enabled

> > What am I overlooking, or have misconfigured?

>   I sure hope that you mistyped.  The I/F address cannot be
> true.  10.792.x.x is blatantly illegal.
>   If that is not the problem, are you trying to ping a remote
> site by name or by number?  You should try numbers first
> (10.192.1.1 is a good first try), so that you eliminate DNS
> lookup problems.
>   Good luck.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Pinging anywhere doesn't work...

Post by David K. Mean » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:37:06

  Your next set of tests will have to decide whether you are getting
any action at all, or whether you are actually isolated.
  The program   ifconfig   will tell you a bunch of things about your
interface; a few lines down the way, it reports both Rx and Tx counter
stats.  So run this command once, so that you know the count of
received and transmitted packets, and then try to ping (by number)
the 10.192.1.1 (gateway) address.
  After that has tried for a while, ^C out of it, and rerun   ifconfig.
This will give you a new set of statistics, which will tell you whether
you have been unable to transmit, or whether you have transmitted
successfully, and are unable to receive.
  The sequence of steps that has to occur for a successful ping is:
    1.  Transmit ARP to get the hardware address of the target.
    2.  Receive ARP-reply supplying that address.
    3.  Send ICMP Echo packet to the target address.
    4.  Receive ICMP Echo Reply.
  You can watch this happen using tcpdump (another utility).  Read
the manpage before using this, so that you get some idea of how to
run it.

Quote:> Hi,

> I followed the steps in the Caldera knowledgebase about "How to tell if
> pcmcia is installed and working" - Ref. #991118-0006.

> All these params are set, and seem to look OK, but I can't reach the
> outside world yet (ie Internet). Netscape times out, and I can't ping
> anywhere.

> rpm -qa | grep pcmcia
> ---------------------
> pcmcia-cs-3.1.8-1

> lsmod
> -----
> 3c589_cs 8392 1
> i82365 29508 2
> pcmcia_core 43872 0 [3c589_cs ds i82365]
> etc....

> etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file
> -------------------------
> PCMCIA="yes"
> PCIC="i82365"
> PCIC_OPTS=
> CORE_OPTS=
> CARDMGR_OPTS="-f"

> On install, I inserted the Lizard boot disk, and after the Kernel
> loaded, I then inserted the Modules disk to load the PCMCIA card, and
> ran setup from the CD-ROM. I currently get a green light on the card.

> My setup is:
> ------------
> Toshiba Laptop - Tecra 8000
> 3com589ET network card (pcmcia)
> Caldera eDesktop 2.4

> Settings > COAS > NETWORK > Ethernet Interfaces
> Network Device: eth0
> PNP Configuration: Disabled
> Interface Address: 10.792.10.140
> Network mask: 255.255.240.0
> Broadcast Address: 10.192.15.255
> Default route: Enabled
> Default gateway: 10.192.1.1
> Init at boot time: Enabled

> What am I overlooking, or have misconfigured?

> Regards,

> Scott

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

Hello guys,

I have a machine with two interfaces, each connected to
a gateway. This two gateways are then connected to a common
network and I want to ping another router in that network over
the two interfaces.

Looks like this:
                        Gateway 1
                           ----
               ------------|  |------------
              | Subnet A   ----            |
            ----
Machine    |  |                Subnet C   Router
            ----
              | Subnet B   ----            |
               ------------|  |------------
                           ----
                        Gateway 2

Now if I type following on my machine it doesn't work:

ping -g 'IP in Subnet A of Gateway 1' 'Router-IP-address'

But if I do a ping (Defaultgateway is 'IP in Subnet A of Gateway 1'
(without -g) it works fine:

ping 'Router-IP-address'

Can someone give me a hint? Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Walter

2. Clients with Trumpet get dropped

3. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .

4. Apache 1.3.1 and SCO OpenServer 5

5. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

6. Problems with modem commands from scripts

7. nslookup works, ping #'s works, ping domain fails?

8. HELP: pwdauth()

9. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

10. Ping doesn't work but httpd does

11. nslookup works, ping doesn't

12. Ping works, telnet doesn't

13. "ping -s" in solaris doesn't work when DNS server unvailable.