Samba : cannot access Samba server via NT Domain.

Samba : cannot access Samba server via NT Domain.

Post by Blondze » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've setup samba to the best of my knowledge.
I can see the machine from a NT machine but cannot access it.
Does not accept password.
I'm using the same username and password on the linux machine and the NT
domain. I know I must be missing something somewhere.
and I'm losing my hair at a rapid rate.

Can somebody help me please, I'm getting desperate.

I'm also getting an error when i try to mount to a machine on the NTdomain.
"cannot resolve mount.....  /share", this is more than likely the cause to
all my problems.

Samba : cannot access Samba server via NT Domain.

Post by Martin Schl?te » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I just got the information (?), that the problem appeared with NT Service
Pack 3. There was something changed in encryption of network password for
authentication. There is a unsharp information, that there is a registry
setting on NT side or otherwise some configuration effort for samba to solve
the problem.
Sorry for being not more exact, only touched the problem on the surface.

Regards
Martin Schl?ter

Quote:>Hi,

>I've setup samba to the best of my knowledge.
>I can see the machine from a NT machine but cannot access it.
>Does not accept password.
>I'm using the same username and password on the linux machine and the NT
>domain. I know I must be missing something somewhere.
>and I'm losing my hair at a rapid rate.

>Can somebody help me please, I'm getting desperate.

>I'm also getting an error when i try to mount to a machine on the NTdomain.
>"cannot resolve mount.....  /share", this is more than likely the cause to
>all my problems.

Samba : cannot access Samba server via NT Domain.

Post by Steven Thoma » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Have you tried swat?  It is very nice for configuring samba, and there is help
text for every option.  Make sure it is installed, then turn it on in your
inetd.conf, and voila!  Connect to port 901 on your server (use a browser) and
configure away...

My guess is you have a password encryption problem.  Perhaps you should try
enabling encrypted passwords, running smbpasswd as root on each of the users
trying to access the samba share and typing in their passwords as the NT domain
expects them.  Then restart samba.

Hope it helps.

Steven

Post by Tom East » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I've setup samba to the best of my knowledge.
>I can see the machine from a NT machine but cannot access it.
>Does not accept password.
>I'm using the same username and password on the linux machine and the NT
>domain. I know I must be missing something somewhere.
>and I'm losing my hair at a rapid rate.

>Can somebody help me please, I'm getting desperate.

In order to access Samba shared from NT SP3 and higher, you must enable
encrypted passwords in Samba. See the ENCRYPTION.txt file in the Samba
documentation directory.

Quote:>I'm also getting an error when i try to mount to a machine on the NTdomain.
>"cannot resolve mount.....  /share", this is more than likely the cause to
>all my problems.

Sorry -- can't help you with that one.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

1. Synchronizing a NT domain with NT 4.0 and Samba servers.

Hello,

Look i'm sorry for posting this again, i'm just kind of in need of help.

I'm in a bit of a pickle: I've got 2 Windows NT servers, 4 Samba
servers and they're all on different sites. At the moment the users
from each site are maintained on thier local server. Our users often
move around from site to site which is ok as they can authenticate
accross our VPN. The problem is if our link does go down they can't
log on anymore.

I understand Samba can't work as a BDC, but i'm hoping for some way of
replicating users and passwords accross from the Windows NT servers to
our Samba servers. It would also mean we could maintain all of our
user accounts from one single server and depend on 'whatever service'
to do the rest.

I would love to get rid of the NT servers, but that's not going to
happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin McGregor.

2. Ncurses doesn't wait for refresh()

3. Newbie: problem accessing shares in NT domain from Samba

4. Linux on AMD760 chipset

5. Linux access to tape drive on NT via Samba ?

6. Sectioned screen when setting up X

7. Samba on NT domain, Unable to join domain

8. XF86config chooser in gdm

9. Samba server no visible in NT-Domain ?

10. Backup NT server with BRU via samba

11. Samba on F'BSD 2.2.6; NT Server+SP6 clients; printer access denied

12. Access samba server from NT