HELP: Slow NFS client to server causing Very slow NFS install

HELP: Slow NFS client to server causing Very slow NFS install

Post by Chris Ara » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

My RH 5.2 NFS Install is SO SLOWWW!!

This is taking forever!!  The link speed currently is
284 MB in 17 hours!! or 4.6kbytes/s ~ 46kbps

Why is there such a slow server to client link?

I'm doing this using Lynksys Etherfast 10/100 card on a PII350 desktop
and
a P75 laptop with the PCMCIA version of the Etherfast 10/100.  The
status
LEDs on the cards both indicate that the connections is at 100Mbps, but
the

See below for all of my network config files in /etc.

I believe that with host.conf setup for "order hosts,bind" that I don't
need a
nameserver.  I don't have a local name server setup.

I have tried modifying some of the parameters below during the
installation,
running exportfs and turning eth0 off and on (using usernet on the
desktop)
DURING THE INSTALLATION (it seems that RH5.2 mounts "hard" during NFS
Install,
ie it is continuing on after I turn eth0 back on) but with no change on
performance.

I did notice when I set the network up before the install that pinging
from
client to server was odd, some packets took 10ms, others took 1000ms in
an
almost every other packet trade off.  The ping from server to client was
on
the order of 10 ms every packet.  Now with the install going on, ping
from
server (desktop) is averaging 350ms with any packet size from 256Bytes
8kbytes.

I have the following setups in exports, host.conf, hosts, hosts.deny,
hosts.allow and resolv.conf:

 cat exports
/mnt/cdrom laptop(ro)
/home/chris laptop(rw)

cat host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on

 cat hosts
192.168.0.1     desktop.mylocal.net   desktop
192.168.0.3     laptop.mylocal.net   laptop
127.0.0.1       localhost       loopback

 cat hosts.deny
ALL: ALL
portmap: ALL

 cat hosts.allow
ALL: LOCAL
portmap: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

 cat resolv.conf
domain mylocal.net
#nameserver 140.174.162.14
#nameserver 140.174.162.10

I have tried resolv.conf with and without commenting out the nameservers
(my
local isp nameservers,) but with no effect.

1. SLOW NFS-READ: linux2.2 client IRIX server

Hi folks,

I've a very strange problem with the nfs client of the 2.2 kernel.

A file mounted from an IRIX 6.* NFS server takes much too long time to
be copied by linux 2.2.* to the local disk. xosview shows 40K, a 1.8M
file takes 45 secs to be copied! I tried every option with mount (noac,
rsize, wsize...) but nothing changed this effect. I tried this with a
10Mbit net, but the same occurs with 100Mbit.

The same situation on linux 2.0.* is fine (xosview shows 1.1M, even with
no additional rsize option).

What the hell changed from 2.0 to 2.2 (last kernel I checked was 2.2.13)
that could cause this strange effect? What's even move strange is that
if I create some net traffic between these two hosts (e.q. 'll' the
mounted dir) then the data bursts a normal speed, as long as this
'noise' lasts.

Can anyone give me a hint how to solve this problem? I even would invest
some time in looking at the kernel code but I don't have any idea where
to start in fs/nfs. I compared fs/nfs of 2.0 with that of 2.2 but really
a lot seems to have changed so I can't see THIS difference in the code.

I'm the adminstrator of a big linux-cluster and changing the kernels
down to 2.0.* is not my favorite.

Thanks for any hint.
T.Butscher

2. Anyone try to connect two machine with NT workstation and Linux?

3. nfs tuning for fast server, slow client

4. routing 2 networks ???

5. Slow NFS server -> high client load av

6. Screen weirdness

7. Unusably slow NFS, AIX client, LINUX server

8. Where to find an old perl binary for SCO?

9. Very slow NFS performance between AIX client and FreeBSD server

10. NFS really slow (too slow!)

11. really slow NFS (was: Faster NFS wanted: advice solicited)

12. nfs very slow, locking files across nfs ?

13. One NFS connection fine, one NFS connection slow