Samba diagnostics in syslog

Post by Steven Jone » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:21:07

        My logs are full of messages like the following:

Feb  7 04:45:51 MyHost nmbd[25451]:   process_browse_packet: Discarding
datagram from IP 172.16.70.1. Source name MYHOST<00> is one of our names !

        Anybody know a simple way to get rid of them? A Google search reveals a
distressingly large number of similar questions that go unanswered on many
different forums, and the few times that an answer is provided it turns
out to be obscure, not being clear how to apply it.

        Any help would be much appreciated.

Post by Giovann » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:54:19

>    My logs are full of messages like the following:

> Feb  7 04:45:51 MyHost nmbd[25451]:   process_browse_packet: Discarding
> datagram from IP 172.16.70.1. Source name MYHOST<00> is one of our names !

>    Anybody know a simple way to get rid of them? A Google search reveals a
> distressingly large number of similar questions that go unanswered on many
> different forums, and the few times that an answer is provided it turns
> out to be obscure, not being clear how to apply it.

>    Any help would be much appreciated.

My samba configuration file has th directive syslog = 0 in the global
section.  Logs go to separate files that you can specify with the
directive log file = /somepath/log

Ciao
Giovanni
--
   A computer is like an air conditioner,
   it stops working when you open Windows.

1. SEND DIAGNOSTIC and RECEIVE DIAGNOSTIC RESULT

I know that the two SCSI command : SEND DIAGNOSTIC and
RECEIVE DIAGNOSTIC RESULT can be used for some advanced features. I know
how to send the command but I don't know how to pass the diagnostic
parameters.

A SEND DIAGNOSTIC command has a PF bit and a parameter list length field
to specify the page format and the length in bytes of the parameter
list. But how to pass the parameter/page ?
where is the parameter list? I am now trying to use the
TRANSLATE ADDRESS PAGE , would anyone explain to me how to use it or
give me a simple example for that ?

Marty.

2. X through IP masq??

3. Tuning syslog/Syslog reporting/Syslog enhancement/replacements

4. Nasty suprise with uptime

5. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

6. a self-destructive script

7. Samba and syslog

8. strange tcp/ip receive problem

9. Syslog replay script for centralized syslog host

10. Syslog parser wanted to replace Kiwi Syslog (win32)

11. syslog.conf/syslog

12. Sending syslog messages to a remote syslog server

13. Syslog question - getting other hosts' syslog messages