SuSE 6.3 & rc.config & IPADDR

Post by Lis » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:32:06

Is there anyway to make IPADDR in rc.config able to handle a dynamic
IP address?  I.E. if I'm using it as a router and right now I have my
IP Address hardcoded for the eth0... can I use an * or something?  Any
help would greatly be appreciated!

- Lisa

SuSE 6.3 & rc.config & IPADDR

Post by jack » Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:38:05

> Is there anyway to make IPADDR in rc.config able to handle a dynamic
> IP address?  I.E. if I'm using it as a router and right now I have my
> IP Address hardcoded for the eth0... can I use an * or something?  Any
> help would greatly be appreciated!

You have to be a bit more specific about Your network design.

I. e., where do You get Your dynamic IP from? ISP (DSL?), DHCP, ...?

Cheers, Jack.

My personal reading of the string "MicroSoft" expands to "NanoWeak"...

SuSE 6.3 & rc.config & IPADDR

Post by Lis » Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:56:07

My apologies.  Yes my ISP (ComCast DSL) says it needs to be dynamic.

> > Is there anyway to make IPADDR in rc.config able to handle a dynamic
> > IP address?  I.E. if I'm using it as a router and right now I have my
> > IP Address hardcoded for the eth0... can I use an * or something?  Any
> > help would greatly be appreciated!

> You have to be a bit more specific about Your network design.

> I. e., where do You get Your dynamic IP from? ISP (DSL?), DHCP, ...?

> Cheers, Jack.

SuSE 6.3 & rc.config & IPADDR

Post by jack » Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:04:51

> My apologies.  Yes my ISP (ComCast DSL) says it needs to be dynamic.

OK, I may assume then that Your eth0 goes to some device that connects
to Your DSLine (I don't know too well about ComCast...).

In that case, You needn't worry about Your eth0 address. It is merely
a placeholder to bring that NIC up, but with pppoe, there will be a
pppN device like "on top of" eth0. This will be handled by some pppd
which takes care of assigning the dynamic IP that Your ISP tells You
upon establishing Your connection (the same as with a modem). Then,
You only need ppp0 to "talk" to Your ISP's side, and eth0 will never
be used (although it is fully configured and will show in "ifconfig").

Again, this is just a guess that only goes if You connect via pppoe.

If not, again, please send more details.

Post by Lis » Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:51:18

> > My apologies.  Yes my ISP (ComCast DSL) says it needs to be dynamic.

> OK, I may assume then that Your eth0 goes to some device that connects
> to Your DSLine (I don't know too well about ComCast...).

> In that case, You needn't worry about Your eth0 address. It is merely
> a placeholder to bring that NIC up, but with pppoe, there will be a
> pppN device like "on top of" eth0. This will be handled by some pppd
> which takes care of assigning the dynamic IP that Your ISP tells You
> upon establishing Your connection (the same as with a modem). Then,
> You only need ppp0 to "talk" to Your ISP's side, and eth0 will never
> be used (although it is fully configured and will show in "ifconfig").

> Again, this is just a guess that only goes if You connect via pppoe.

> If not, again, please send more details.

> Cheers, Jack.

In my rc.config file I have these related lines...

IPADDR_0="67.99.40.210"
NETDEV_0="eth0"
IFCONFIG_0="67.99.40.210 broadcast 67.99.40.255 netmask 255.255.255.128 up"

What should those ip addresses be if my provider forces me to be dynamic?

SuSE 6.3 & rc.config & IPADDR

Post by jack » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:29:40

> In my rc.config file I have these related lines...

> IPADDR_0="67.99.40.210"
> NETDEV_0="eth0"
> IFCONFIG_0="67.99.40.210 broadcast 67.99.40.255 netmask 255.255.255.128 up"

> What should those ip addresses be if my provider forces me to be dynamic?

Again, the main point of interest here is about _how_exactly_ do You
connect to Your ISP...? -- As said, I don't know about ComCast in parti-
cular, but rather than sending Your eth0 config, please let me and
everybody else know about those technical details.

 From what You have written so far, I do assume that Your ISP wants to
assign You that dynIP address via DHCP.

SuSE 6.3 is somewhat outdated by now. However, even then they had
their "yast" configuration utility in that distro ("YaST" = "_Y_et
_a_nother _S_etup _T_ool"), where You can easily configure Your eth0
from static settings to DHCP.

I am guessing into the wild here, Lisa, so please provide the details
about how You connect, or, in Your own words, what "the provider wants"
from You.