PPP Server Problems

Post by Tim Brow » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

I've been trying to get what I consider a simple PPP server
configuration to work with no success. I can successfully connect
my Linux 1.2.13 box to my ISP (Compuserve) as I can ping other
addresses, ftp works as does e-mail. But if I try to establish a
dial-up PPP connection from another PC (using Trumpet winsock) to
my Linux box, it doesn't work. One time, I did get a ppp0 (ISP)
and a ppp1 (PC via Trumpet) but the only thing I could do was
ping the ip of ppp1 from the PC. Now, when I try the dialup, the
dialup trashes the ppp0 and the connection to my ISP drops. I
have read every document on PPP that I can find, and none of them
address PPP servers (except just to list something like "exec
pppd -detach crtcsts modem" and say "this will work"). My ip
addresses from the ISP are dynamic-is that the problem? Does
anybody have a configuration like this working? (dynamic address
PPP to ISP, and dialup PPP server).
TIA - Tim Brown.

PPP Server Problems

Post by Wayn » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

> I've been trying to get what I consider a simple PPP server
> configuration to work with no success. I can successfully connect
> my Linux 1.2.13 box to my ISP (Compuserve) as I can ping other
> addresses, ftp works as does e-mail. But if I try to establish a
> dial-up PPP connection from another PC (using Trumpet winsock) to
> my Linux box, it doesn't work. One time, I did get a ppp0 (ISP)
> and a ppp1 (PC via Trumpet) but the only thing I could do was
> ping the ip of ppp1 from the PC. Now, when I try the dialup, the
> dialup trashes the ppp0 and the connection to my ISP drops. I
> have read every document on PPP that I can find, and none of them
> address PPP servers (except just to list something like "exec
> pppd -detach crtcsts modem" and say "this will work"). My ip
> addresses from the ISP are dynamic-is that the problem? Does
> anybody have a configuration like this working? (dynamic address
> PPP to ISP, and dialup PPP server).
> TIA - Tim Brown.

Has anyone replied to this yet?  I am wanting to set up my system
to do the same thing.  I have ppp setup for logging in to my ISP, but
want a safe and secure way for my friends to dial straight in to my system.
I have no clue as to where to begin. :)

Thanks,
Wayne

1. PPP server problem (LCP problem?)

Hello,

I have problems configuring a PPP server with FreeBSD.
I have a ppp client with user space ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.1
and a ppp server with kernel ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.2
Both machines use a Zyxel Omni TA 128 Modem at /dev/cuaa0

The client works ok and can dial in a Win95 server without
problems. To dial in the FreeBSD server causes some problems.
The problems seems to be with LCP or the modem configuration.

Server:
I use the ppp/options file from the BSD handbook, changed with my domain
and addresses and debug added (crtscts, netmask ..., <ownip>:<remoteip>,
domain ..., passive, modem, debug)
I used kermit with the /etc/ppp/kermit.ans script
(with line /dev/ttyd0 and speed 19200)

I got following messages from the server:
pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
using interface ppp0
connect:ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyd0
last message repeated 4 times
hangup (SIGHUP)
Modem hangup
Exit

Client:
I have set device /dev/cuaa0, speed 19200 and openmode active.
The AT commands for the modem are ATE1Q0B40
I got following messages from the client:
*Connected
LCP: state change Initial --> Closed
LCP: sendConfigReq
  ACFCOMP
  PROTOCOMP
  ACCMAP[6] 00000000
  MRU [4] 1500
  MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
LCP: state change Closed --> Req-Sent
LCP: Received Configure Reject (1) state = Req-Sent (6)
LCP: RecvConfigReq
  ACCMAP[6] 00000000
  MRU [4] 1500
  MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
<The last for lines are 4 times repeated>
LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
LCP: Layer Finish
Disconnected!

If I use user space ppp at the server side I got the same
behaviour at the client side but no debug info at the server
side. For a short time the getty V19200 ttyd0 process changes
to login -r ?#{?{ or a similar process and then getty is
started again.
Can anybody tell me what's going wrong or give me any hints,
what I can do?

Many thanks
        Elmar

Elmar Haas, Siemens AG, ZT IK 2, Munich, Germany

2. WABI and a permanent MS-Windows install ?

3. PPP Server problem or modem problem

4. where can I find GTK related newgroup or commnunity?

5. PPP server problem

6. can I turn on the caption of mplayer while watching DVD?

7. ppp server problem

8. Cisco Routers

9. PPP Server problem

10. PPP-Server Problem

11. Dial up PPP Server problem

12. PPP server problems.

13. ppp server problem with Redhat 7.2 Kernel 2.4.7-10