diskless machine, bootp+tftp, can it be done without nfs?

diskless machine, bootp+tftp, can it be done without nfs?

Post by Oscar Stiffelma » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Is it possible to boot diskless (using bootp + tftp) but to not mount a
remote root file system?

I would like to send the root partition as a ramdisk image from the tftp
server to the machine.  The way I am currently doing it is the machine
mounts a remote (NFS) root partition.

Thanks for any input,

Oscar Stiffelman
Stanford University Computer Science Department,
Genetic Programming, Inc.

1. diskless linux with bootp, tftp, nfs servers on os/2???

My main box at home is running warp connect 3.0.  Unfortunately I
have limited knowledge about linux, unix, and network configurations.
I use the network at work for telnet, ftp, etc. but have never had to
configure this stuff.

I want to set up a second box at home running linux with no floppy
drive, no hard drive, no keyboard, and no monitor card.  BTW, can
linux boot without a monitor card assumming the bios allows this???

I want to play with getting a system like this to boot over ethernet.
One use for this is a linux print server; I can telnet and ftp to it as
well just to play around.

I figure the first step is to get linux installed in the normal fashion
on the local hard drive, get the network stuff functioning, and then
move to a diskless configuration.

I read the etherboot/netboot faq and took a look at the source
code as well.  I have a cheap MaxTech ethernet card (NE2000
clone) in what will hopefully become the linux box.

Has anyone set up a diskless linux box that boots from a warp
box?  Looks like the faqs cover the linux side pretty good.  So
now I'm hunting for info on the warp side.  I did discover the
bootp & tftp options in the warp connect setup, but nothing about
nfs.  Is there a freeware nfs server package for warp???  Is nfs
even needed for this?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

2. keyboard layout question

3. command for viewing immediate subdirectories only?

4. bootp/tftp/NFS help needed

5. XJ10BT PCMCIA Ethernet driver?

6. Additional nfs mounts on diskless machine lock nfs server

7. real qty of ram being used in f50 aix machine

8. Linus on diskless machine (TFTP boot)

9. Is Diskless Linux poss with bootp & NFS?

10. Running bootp or bootpc on diskless NFS-root box

11. Booting Diskless Dos machines from a Linux bootserver?

12. Diskless Linux X-Terminal (Was: Re: Diskless Linux machines)