two net cards, one recognized and the other not!!

two net cards, one recognized and the other not!!

Post by Hate » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:47:19

Hi, I have a 200CPU with two net cards,
I have a Crap9x folder wich holds (formerly Windows98) and it seems to
recognize my two net cards as Intel 21041 Ether net controler which
correponds to Tulip driver in Linux.
the other is SMC EtherEZ(8416) which corresponds to smc-ultra in Linux.
Now the Tulip seems to be wroking ok in linux.. for the Intel network card.
the other one SMC refuses to start..
I always get delaying initialization!!
both cards are PNP, but one of them is PCI (the intel one) and the other SMC
is a EISA card....

tried to reset the pnp options in the setup and let linux figure them out,
but frankly speaking I am not that great in this field,
can someone help me out please!!!

by the way, I RTFM!

thanks.

two net cards, one recognized and the other not!!

Post by laser_joc » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:32:52

r u sure that there are no address conflicts between
the two cards?

> Hi, I have a 200CPU with two net cards,
> I have a Crap9x folder wich holds (formerly Windows98) and it seems to
> recognize my two net cards as Intel 21041 Ether net controler which
> correponds to Tulip driver in Linux.
> the other is SMC EtherEZ(8416) which corresponds to smc-ultra in Linux.
> Now the Tulip seems to be wroking ok in linux.. for the Intel network card.
> the other one SMC refuses to start..
> I always get delaying initialization!!
> both cards are PNP, but one of them is PCI (the intel one) and the other SMC
> is a EISA card....

> tried to reset the pnp options in the setup and let linux figure them out,
> but frankly speaking I am not that great in this field,
> can someone help me out please!!!

> by the way, I RTFM!

> thanks.

two net cards, one recognized and the other not!!

Post by Hate » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:33:13

problem resolved!!
I got this sorted out, obviously my computer has lots of cards installed and
all of them are 6 pnp pci cards...in additional to serial/parallel ports!
the poor ISA SMC card could not find a spot to allocate its own IRQ so it
went down to 0 which is obviously incorrect..
I figured that computer is totally overloaded with cards, so there is no
room for an additional one, so I took it away ;) and used that compy as a
single workstation only!

Thanks for the help anyway!

> r u sure that there are no address conflicts between
> the two cards?

> > Hi, I have a 200CPU with two net cards,
> > I have a Crap9x folder wich holds (formerly Windows98) and it seems to
> > recognize my two net cards as Intel 21041 Ether net controler which
> > correponds to Tulip driver in Linux.
> > the other is SMC EtherEZ(8416) which corresponds to smc-ultra in Linux.
> > Now the Tulip seems to be wroking ok in linux.. for the Intel network
card.
> > the other one SMC refuses to start..
> > I always get delaying initialization!!
> > both cards are PNP, but one of them is PCI (the intel one) and the other
SMC
> > is a EISA card....

> > tried to reset the pnp options in the setup and let linux figure them
out,
> > but frankly speaking I am not that great in this field,
> > can someone help me out please!!!

> > by the way, I RTFM!

> > thanks.

two net cards, one recognized and the other not!!

Post by Peter Edd » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:56:08

check the interrupts used, "cat /proc/interrupts" and the IO ports, "cat
/proc/ioports".  You should also have something like this in
/etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 smc-ultra

(or whatever the SMC driver is)

> Hi, I have a 200CPU with two net cards,
> I have a Crap9x folder wich holds (formerly Windows98) and it seems to
> recognize my two net cards as Intel 21041 Ether net controler which
> correponds to Tulip driver in Linux.
> the other is SMC EtherEZ(8416) which corresponds to smc-ultra in Linux.
> Now the Tulip seems to be wroking ok in linux.. for the Intel network card.
> the other one SMC refuses to start..
> I always get delaying initialization!!
> both cards are PNP, but one of them is PCI (the intel one) and the other SMC
> is a EISA card....

> tried to reset the pnp options in the setup and let linux figure them out,
> but frankly speaking I am not that great in this field,
> can someone help me out please!!!

> by the way, I RTFM!

> thanks.

1. Two 3c509 network cards, one ok, one not?

hi,

 I Have two 3c509 (3com etherlink III) network cards.

if I put one in the linux box running RHLinux6.2 and do

  insmod 3c509

the card is seen fine.

If I shutdown, replace the card with another 3c509,
and do

   insmod 3c509

again, it is not seen. I get the same
response as no card at all, which is

"Device or resource busy"

My questions is, is the board broken,
or is linux ASSUMING the io address or
IRQ may be a particular value? - and if so
how do I find what the io address and IRQ are?
Or, how do I change them?
A DOS program maybe?

I have been told there is DOS program
for this which I am web searching for now.

Eventually I want both cards installed together.

bob

PS. insmod is a program that installs kernel modules.
When I do insmod 3c509, it expects to find
a file called 3c509.o somewhere. It looks under
/lib (I think its /lib/modules/nn.n.nn ). This
module was with the RHLinux6.2 distribution.

2. Q: uid in /proc/net/tcp

3. Problem: multiple net cards + warm boot = one net card???

4. Solaris 2.5 upgrade vs. fresh install

5. Two HD's, one not recognized

6. where to find gettext in Suse distro

7. Is it possible to assign two ip to one ether net card?

8. Cirrus CL54XX chipset

9. One Module Two Net Cards...

10. Two Nets, Two Modems, One Host

11. third net card not recognized during install

12. Two 3c509 cards not recognized - help?

13. Second Ethernet card not Recognized