{[(Q)]}: Fastest way to read disk contents in C ????????

{[(Q)]}: Fastest way to read disk contents in C ????????

Post by Anthony Bouro » Mon, 18 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am using Linux operating system, and the program that I am currently
writing requires me to read the contents of a disk into memory. This
includes: directory names, file names, i-nodes, dates, times, etc. The
only C functions I found are opendir, readdir and stat, which are
uncomfortable.
Are there any other functions which I can use for this?

1. can't read contents of floppy disk

I have made a boot floppy rather than booting from the hard drive. All
my attempts to read the contents of the drive in order to insert boot
parameters has failed. When the floppy is mounted the dialog returned is
"/dev/fd0 is not a valid block device." I mount using mount /dev/fdo
/mnt/floppy and I do have a /mnt/floppy directory.

Also while I am asking for help, I know how to format a floppy and put a
file system on it; but how do i put a boot.img on it and still be able
to read the disk contents? I use fdformat /dev/fd0H1440 to format and
/mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. TAR recurse with wildcard

3. World's Fastest Video Card now on the World's Fastest PC

4. Ingres?

5. How (many ways) can a shell script read stdin?

6. Corrupt libraries and kernel panic...virus?

7. How to make a bootimage disk, like the bootdsks.144 ins slackware.

8. New Disk (Conner ) - Can not install?

9. Memory & Disk Qs

10. 3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk

11. Fastest way to read a file?

12. Qs on partitioning a hard disk

13. The FASTest disk write in LINUX