samba and acl

Post by chris lusti » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:16:44

system: suse 7.3 with samba 2.2.3a (compiled with acl_support).

hi all,
what have i to do to  use access control list with samba?
in yast there is a packet called "acl" is this enough or must i patch the
kernel?

thx for hints.

chris

1. ACL and ACL via proplist

Hi,

I have too closely related questions:

a) Is there any Access Controll List (ACL) support for FreeBSD
available, when yes, where?

b) We use alphas under OSF1 V4.0 as servers. They have ACL support,
which can be set/get remotely via the so called proplists. Using NFS the
ACL are honoured under FreeBSD, but not shown (since getacl and setacl
are not present). On the Alphas one can mount the NFS and adding the
option 'proplist' for mount makes this ACL support available to NSF
clients.
Well, I'd simply like to use them (get/setacl) on FreeBSD too.

Tobias

From the manpage 'man proplist', I hope this is a standard and not
Digital specific (but I fear it is):
---------------------------------
proplist - The storing, parsing, and retrieving of Extended File
Attributes

DESCRIPTION

  Digital UNIX supports the storing, parsing, and retrieving of Extended
File
  Attributes.  An Extended File Attribute is a name and value pair that
is
  contained in a variable-sized structure called a Property List.  A
Property
  List is part of a file's metadata and can contain abstract name and
value
  pairs (Extended File Attributes) that can be set either by the
operating
  system (for example, ACLs and privileges) or by a user-level
application
  (for example, PC File Attributes).

  Since Extended File Attributes are treated as an extension to a file's
  metadata, they are synchronously updated, thereby ensuring
consistency.
  Note that Extended File Attributes set by user-level applications are
  treated as opaque and can be virtually anything.
---------------------------------

--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as the
night

2. Apache 1.3 FreeBSD and MMap in error log file

3. Can SAMBA/Linux do ACL's...?

4. Plug and Play my ass or Plug and Pray

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. 2.6 x86 and 3com network cards

7. using ACL with Samba - any luck?

8. AXPpci33 (noname) installation failure

9. NT-Server replacement (acl + quota + samba)

10. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

11. SAMBA, SAMBA, SAMBA

12. A few questions regarding samba from a samba and windows rookie

13. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98