NE2000

Post by Robert W. Philli » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

   I have recompiled my kernel to supposedly support my NE2000 card, but
when I edit the lilo.conf file to tell it to use that new kernel as the
boot kernel it does not seem to want to use it.  I know I recompiled the
kernel let's say at 2 pm on september the 10th, but my boot messages
always say that the kernel was compiled last year apparently when the
authors compiled it originally.  Obviously the end of the boot sequence
always tells me that no network card could be found.  I forget what the
command was but when I try to get the system to tell me about the PCI
devices it does not come out the way that the FAQ says that it should.  I
was surprised how easy it was to get everything else up and running even
Xwindows, but I'll be damned if I could get my network card to work.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bob Phillips

--

Look before you leap

NE2000

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>    I have recompiled my kernel to supposedly support my NE2000 card, but
> when I edit the lilo.conf file to tell it to use that new kernel as the
> boot kernel it does not seem to want to use it.  I know I recompiled the
> kernel let's say at 2 pm on september the 10th, but my boot messages
> always say that the kernel was compiled last year apparently when the
> authors compiled it originally.  Obviously the end of the boot sequence

Then you're not actually using the new kernel image.  Did you remember to
run lilo after moving the kernel image (arch/i386/boot/zImage) to it's new
home as indicated in /etc/lilo.conf?

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
Elwood:  What kind of music do you get here ma'am?
Barmaid: Why, we get both kinds of music, Country and Western.

NE2000

Post by Bob Hau » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>    I have recompiled my kernel to supposedly support my NE2000 card, but
> when I edit the lilo.conf file to tell it to use that new kernel as the
> boot kernel it does not seem to want to use it.

You have to actually re-run lilo, simply editing lilo.conf is not enough.

--

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

NE2000

Post by Robert W. Philli » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Every time I start the system up it runs lilo.  Is there anything else
that I need to do to get it to boot from that new kernel.  I also
discovered that the NE2000 card is in fact not a PCI card which is what
all of the FAQ information talks about it is an ISA card.  What do I do
about that? Is there a place that the kernel needs to be in order for me
to use it as the boot kernel?  Thanks for any help.

Bob Phillips

> >    I have recompiled my kernel to supposedly support my NE2000 card, but
> > when I edit the lilo.conf file to tell it to use that new kernel as the
> > boot kernel it does not seem to want to use it.  I know I recompiled the
> > kernel let's say at 2 pm on september the 10th, but my boot messages
> > always say that the kernel was compiled last year apparently when the
> > authors compiled it originally.  Obviously the end of the boot sequence

> Then you're not actually using the new kernel image.  Did you remember to
> run lilo after moving the kernel image (arch/i386/boot/zImage) to it's new
> home as indicated in /etc/lilo.conf?

> --
> Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net | PGP key available
> paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
> Elwood:  What kind of music do you get here ma'am?
> Barmaid: Why, we get both kinds of music, Country and Western.

--

Look before you leap

NE2000

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Every time I start the system up it runs lilo.  Is there anything else
> that I need to do to get it to boot from that new kernel.  I also
> discovered that the NE2000 card is in fact not a PCI card which is what
> all of the FAQ information talks about it is an ISA card.  What do I do
> about that? Is there a place that the kernel needs to be in order for me
> to use it as the boot kernel?  Thanks for any help.

On bootup, you're not actually running lilo.  lilo is a program you run
from the command line like any other, /sbin/lilo  It places some boot code
in the boot sector which find and loads up the kernel.  Each time you move
or change kernels, you have to rerun lilo so that the boot code can find
it.  lilo uses the 'image=filename' entries in /etc/lilo.conf to determine
where to look for the kernel images.  The file that you want, is
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage  You typically move this to /vmlinuz
or /boot/vmlinuz, and re-run lilo.  On the next reboot, you should be
booting the new kernel.

As for the card, don't worry about it.  The same card driver will work with
both pci and isa ne2k cards.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
Sam:  Hey, what's happening, Norm?
Norm: Well, it's a dog-eat-dog world, Sammy,
      and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear.
                -- Cheers, The Peterson Principle

NE2000

Post by Robert W. Philli » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am a newbie to Linux so when I say that in my understanding when I
reboot the system I am re-running lilo.  What else does one have to do to
re-run lilo.

Bob Phillips

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> On bootup, you're not actually running lilo.  lilo is a program you run
> from the command line like any other, /sbin/lilo  It places some boot code
> in the boot sector which find and loads up the kernel.  Each time you move
> or change kernels, you have to rerun lilo so that the boot code can find
> it.  lilo uses the 'image=filename' entries in /etc/lilo.conf to determine
> where to look for the kernel images.  The file that you want, is
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage  You typically move this to /vmlinuz
> or /boot/vmlinuz, and re-run lilo.  On the next reboot, you should be
> booting the new kernel.

I'd like to add a couple of caveats to this.  First, simply overwriting an
existing vmlinuz file can be dangerous, since if you then forget to run
lilo, the system may not be able to find the kernel when you reboot.  At
best, it's then a nuissance to have to boot with a boot floppy or some
other method and do the lilo dance.  Second, using a new name for the
kernel and replacing the entry in /etc/lilo.conf with the new one can be
dangerous because if the new kernel doesn't work, you have to resort to
boot floppies (or LOADLIN, or whatever) to get it to work again.

I therefore recommend one of two things for replacing a kernel:  Either
test the kernel first by booting it from LOADLIN, if you've got a DOS
partition handy; or ADD an entry to /etc/lilo.conf so you can revert to
the old kernel if you have problems with the new one.  Once you're
finished testing, you can delete the old kernel and its lilo.conf entry;
or you can keep two kernels around permanently, and just rotate through
them as you update your kernel -- that is, keep, say, zImage-old and
zImage-new, and when you build a new kernel, delete zImage-old, rename
zImage-new to zImage-old, and move the newly-built kernel to zImage-new,
then re-run lilo.  If you have problems, you can specify "old" (or
whatever you call it) at the boot prompt to get back your old working
system.  You could do something similar with a DOS batch file and LOADLIN
if you prefer to boot that way

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the capitalized word from my address to mail me

Post by Kerry Pers » Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I am a newbie to Linux so when I say that in my understanding when I
>reboot the system I am re-running lilo.  What else does one have to do to
>re-run lilo.

As root, type "lilo" (or "/sbin/lilo") and hit enter.  :-)

This will cause the loader to configure itself (by re-reading your
lilo.conf) for the next time you boot.  You'll see messages like
"Adding Linux" and maybe others if you configured it to boot other
OS's too.

--
Kerry Person

NE2000

Post by Frank Sweetse » Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I am a newbie to Linux so when I say that in my understanding when I
> reboot the system I am re-running lilo.  What else does one have to do to
> re-run lilo.

Nope.   when we speak of 're-running lilo', we're refering to running the
program /sbin/lilo  lilo places some code on the bootsector that allows the
machine to find the kernel image on the disk.  If you haven't rerun lilo
each time you change kernels, then the system will still be looking for the
old kernel, which may or may not be there.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
Woody: How are you today, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:  Never been better, Woody. ... Just once I'd like to be better.
                -- Cheers, Chambers vs. Malone

NE2000

Post by M. Buchenried » Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am a newbie to Linux so when I say that in my understanding when I
>reboot the system I am re-running lilo.  What else does one have to do to
>re-run lilo.

[...]

It means that you do have to explicitely execute the command

/sbin/lilo

to get the new lilo.conf file recognized by the loader program.
Of course, you do have to do that prior to rebooting :)

Michael

Satellite Safety Tip #4:
                If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>   I have recompiled my kernel to supposedly support my NE2000 card, but
>when I edit the lilo.conf file to tell it to use that new kernel as the
>boot kernel it does not seem to want to use it.  I know I recompiled the
>kernel let's say at 2 pm on september the 10th, but my boot messages
>always say that the kernel was compiled last year apparently when the
>authors compiled it originally.

[...]

FAQ. You forgot that you have to re-run /sbin/lilo after every
recompilation of a new kernel AND after having made changes to the
lilo.conf file.

Michael

Satellite Safety Tip #4:
                If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

NE2000

Post by Robert W. Philli » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Okay....This is all fine and good.  I copied the zImage to the same place
where vmlinuz should be, moved vmlinuz to another directory.  Then I
edited the lilo.conf with vi, setting the image that lilo.conf should look
for the image to image = zImage. Then I wrote to the file and quit vi.  I
then ran lilo with the simple lilo command.  It confirmed that something
happened by telling me it was adding Linux.  Then I reboot.  After memory
count when it started lilo before it uncompressed the kernel it returned a
"no setup signature found" error.  The only time I was able to get the
system to recognize that there was an NE2000 card the system returned an
"unable to mount root file fs" error.  It then proceeded to tell me that
the cdrom drive was located on "hdb" which it is, but the it returned "hdb
IRQ probe failed (0)" then it said "IDE 0 unable to get IRQ 14".  I can
only presume that this was an IRQ conflict, but this system had been
running windows 95 with the exact same hardware configuration for some
time.  Why would the IRQ configurations change.  What do I need to do to
get this system up and running.

--

Look before you leap

1. NE2000 vs Linux -- NE2000 is winning...

Does anyone know how to fix the problem of having an NE2000 (clones
only?) crash the system when the local network gets loaded?

I wrote about my problem a couple of weeks ago.  If someone posted an
answer, I'm sorry but I didn't see it (I've been busy lately...)

If not, then consider this a warning -- NE2000 cards are not safe to use
with Linux.

Other people have had the same problems, but I haven't found any
fixes...

Thanks,

Mike Hicks

2. Sluggish X on G4

3. 486 PCI & NE2000 Difficulties

4. Immediate UNIX Job Openings

5. kernel 1.2.8 and ne2000

6. code language for Linux kernel

7. NE2000 NIC problem

8. Latest RedHat release - I am a little confused

9. NE2000 Setup problem

10. NE2000 card setup for Linux Newbie

11. NE2000/SLIP

12. Configurations and NE2000?