samba / nt problem

Post by luca » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:57:55

hello one and all,

anyway, here is a samba question.  i have it setup and running.  from a
nt4 machine, if i log in the linux machine, via Network Neighborhood, as

root, then i can get into its default home directory.  if i login to the

linux machine as say lucas, the shares will show, but when i try to
enter the share, nt returns that the server is unavailable.  so what is
going on that i can not see?  is it a linux file or directory chmod
thing?  owner or group thing?  samba thing?  or nt thing?

thank you in advance and have a nice day.

lucas

samba / nt problem

Post by taij » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

you can check out the file /etc/smb.conf and make sure the following
settings:

[share]
path=/path/to/share/dir/on/your/linux/machine
public=yes
writable=yes

hope it helps.

Charles

Quote:> hello one and all,

> anyway, here is a samba question.  i have it setup and running.  from a
> nt4 machine, if i log in the linux machine, via Network Neighborhood, as

> root, then i can get into its default home directory.  if i login to the

> linux machine as say lucas, the shares will show, but when i try to
> enter the share, nt returns that the server is unavailable.  so what is
> going on that i can not see?  is it a linux file or directory chmod
> thing?  owner or group thing?  samba thing?  or nt thing?

> thank you in advance and have a nice day.

> lucas

samba / nt problem

Post by Re-Animato » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I'd like to help, but don't know the answers, but here's where I found the
info to set up my Linux Samba system.....

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/index.html

An excellent book, and free to view!

Quote:> hello one and all,

> anyway, here is a samba question.  i have it setup and running.  from a
> nt4 machine, if i log in the linux machine, via Network Neighborhood, as

> root, then i can get into its default home directory.  if i login to the

> linux machine as say lucas, the shares will show, but when i try to
> enter the share, nt returns that the server is unavailable.  so what is
> going on that i can not see?  is it a linux file or directory chmod
> thing?  owner or group thing?  samba thing?  or nt thing?

> thank you in advance and have a nice day.

> lucas

1. Samba/NT problem

First thing i noticed when looking at you smb.conf was the workgroup name.  Do
you have a WinNT domain / domain controller set up?  If so, substitute in the
name of your domain for "WORKGROUP" in the smb.conf file. On to your problems.
It sounds like your Linux box is causing printer problems.  First thing to try
would be shutting down the linux box and trying to print with it off.  If that
doesn't work, you might try commenting out the following lines in smb.conf:
load printers = yes
AND/OR
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
; Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

I Hope this helps!!
--Nick

2. Cryptoswift Accelerator

3. samba / nt problem

4. FTP access setup

5. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

6. Configure Built-in Soundcard ESS Maestro?

7. Samba : cannot access Samba server via NT Domain.

8. Unix Hierarchy

9. Samba als NT-Dom?nenserver für NT 4.0 Workstations

10. NT<->Samba performance depends on _size_ of NT environment variables!?!

11. How to connect NT machine through samba Linux box to NT net?

12. Synchronizing a NT domain with NT 4.0 and Samba servers.

13. Samba vs NFS (Re: When is Samba faster than NT)