Serious PPP problem :(

Post by Raul Carvalh » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 Dear colleagues,

 I am having a very disturbing problem with ppp dial-up. A few days
ago, I noticed that my ppp connections to my ISP were only successfull
at the 2nd try... And now that I am paying more attention to it, it is
a fact: the 1st attempt always fails. This happens to all ISPs I have
tested!

 Can anyone tell me what should I check?! I am looking to it for a
couple of days with no success. I even deleted and created the ppp
configuration again, but no luck...

 A few hints on my setup might help:

 * RH 6.1 box with modem
 * running named to a local net

 Thanks for your cooperation,
 Raul

--
Raul Miguel P. Carvalho
ISR / FEUP - Porto, Portugal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Serious PPP problem :(

Post by David . » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Did you get all the updated rpms from the Red Hat ftp site in the
updates directory? Probably need the new rp3 rpm if you haven't.

David
--
Due to extreme SPAM abuse! Remove z's and x's from above to reply.
Thnak the spammer's A..holes that they are. Still can't reach me?

Serious PPP problem :(

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>  I am having a very disturbing problem with ppp dial-up. A few days
> ago, I noticed that my ppp connections to my ISP were only successfull
> at the 2nd try... And now that I am paying more attention to it, it is
> a fact: the 1st attempt always fails. This happens to all ISPs I have
> tested!

Add the chat -v option and the pppd debug option, and then look at the
log messages for a clue.

Serious PPP problem :(

Post by Raul Carvalh » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, guys.
In fact, I also discovered that the problem might be with ppp package. I
saw somewhere that this is a known bug and ppp should be upgraded to
ppp-2.3.11.

I'll try your clues plus upgrading to 2.3.11 and post here my results to
the community.

Thanks!

> >  I am having a very disturbing problem with ppp dial-up. A few days
> > ago, I noticed that my ppp connections to my ISP were only
successfull
> > at the 2nd try... And now that I am paying more attention to it, it
is
> > a fact: the 1st attempt always fails. This happens to all ISPs I
have
> > tested!

> Add the chat -v option and the pppd debug option, and then look at the
> log messages for a clue.

(tm)

--
Raul Miguel P. Carvalho
ISR / FEUP - Porto, Portugal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Serious PPP problem :(

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks, guys.
>In fact, I also discovered that the problem might be with ppp package. I
>saw somewhere that this is a known bug and ppp should be upgraded to
>ppp-2.3.11.

Actually, with Redhat's version of ppp-- don't know if it is in their
scripts, or in their changes to pppd. Redhat has a fix (update) on thier
site.

Serious PPP problem :(

Post by Raul Carvalh » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 Hello again,

 Thank you all for your support. Upgrading ppp solved the problem in my
case (RedHat user).

 Regards!

--
Raul Miguel P. Carvalho
ISR / FEUP - Porto, Portugal

Quote:

>  Dear colleagues,

>  I am having a very disturbing problem with ppp dial-up. A few days
> ago, I noticed that my ppp connections to my ISP were only successfull
> at the 2nd try... And now that I am paying more attention to it, it is
> a fact: the 1st attempt always fails. This happens to all ISPs I have
> tested!

>  Can anyone tell me what should I check?! I am looking to it for a
> couple of days with no success. I even deleted and created the ppp
> configuration again, but no luck...

>  A few hints on my setup might help:

>  * RH 6.1 box with modem
>  * running named to a local net

>  Thanks for your cooperation,
>  Raul

> --
> Raul Miguel P. Carvalho
> ISR / FEUP - Porto, Portugal

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

Hello there people:)...
  I had linux kernel 1.2.8 installed in my system. I have a SLIP/PPP
connection using either dip (for SLIP) or pppd/chat (for PPP).
  Now, Most of my network stuff are working fine without any problem at all
except talk. Talk works fine for local chatting. No problem at all. The
problem is when ever I call out to other machine (using the SLIP/PPP line),
nothing has ever happen. It got as far as Checking invitation stuff. Never
more.
  Just out of curiosity I ran netstate to check the udp connection whenever
I have talk running. Running locally (talk that is) I got output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
udp        0      0 lucifer.newpaltz.:1328 *:*

Which I presumed opened by talk (only one here because the other side hadn't
responded to the call yet).  I also get the same thing whenever I call
someone outside my system to talk. Of course, it never got to the other
system (I was waiting on the other system using telnet for the talk request,
never got there. And I had made sure that mesg was y).

Now when I call *IN* from other system (telnet to another system and run
talk over there to my system), I have (on my system) output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User

And also from netstat -a, I could find talk/ntalk were still listening.
Seems to me the call from outside didn't get through.

Now, since I haven't done anything to configure talk specifically, is there
anything I have to do to make this connection possible. Since I can't talk
to outside nor can I receive talk request from other hosts, I'm under the
assumption that my talk program somehow is not configured properly.

Any configuration file I have to check?
man, faq, howto, etc to refer to this kind of error?
May be replace my talk/ntalk/talkd/ntalkd with something else and where to
find it/them?
Does it depend on something in the kernel that I have to enable during the
compile time?
Wrong version altogether with the kernel?
Is it possible that talk needs long time to make the connection? (None of my
other stuff that I know of behave like this).
May be my inetd is broken?
If so, how do I check for it?
And where to find the latest version of it?

And while I'm at it, what's the latest version of talk?
Where to find it?
Is there a better chatting program that's backward compatible with talk?
Meaning that the program has more features than talk but at the same time
can be used to communicate with other regular talk program whenever the
program is not available on the other host.

--
Send comment and reply to:

2. X Notebook FAQ for Linux

3. Serious ppp problem : not stable ppp link

4. Changing filenames (cont.)

5. my trashed hard drive. :( :( :(

6. Mouse patch for X11

7. Serious Serious problem

8. 2.4 kernel?

9. HELP ME!!! THIS IS SERIOUS:(

10. Serious PPP and serial problem

11. Serious PPP problem

12. Serious Problems with PPP Connection - ISP+Redhat out of ideas...

13. Serious problem on PPP between two linux machines