IP Masquerading not working

Post by Jarrod Lo » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Ok. I have an ethernet with two Win95 machines and a linux machine
with IP addresses 192.168.0.*.
The linux machine also has a modem, which I connect to the internet
with.
The ethernet works (i.e. the three machines can talk to each other)
and the PPP link works (i.e. the linux machine can talk to the
internet.)

Of course, I want the '95 machines to browse the 'net aswell.

By the way, I am new to Linux.

After looking through many HOWTOs, I decided that IP Masquearding must
be the solution to my problem.

I did the following: (anything after #, I typed, anything after '...'
is a summary of what the computer responded, anything else is exactly
what the computer responded):

ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument

After looking through many more HOWTOs, I decided I must have to
compile a new kernal.

...here I selected the options, making sure masquerading, etc, was on.

...lots of make stuff.

...lots of make stuff.

...lots of make stuff, for a long time

...lots of make stuff.

after that I copied zImage to /boot/testboot1, and changed lilo.conf
to boot from it.
During the boot, I get: (each lline had three *-s at the front, but
that won't fit on a line here)
Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_cuseeme.o
Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_ftp.o
Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_irc.o
Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_quake.o
Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_raudio.o
Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_vdolive.o

I tried the ipfwadm lines again, but still no joy.

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Jarrod Lowe

(This email address will be invalidated within 2 months.)

Post by Vx_age » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Ok. I have an ethernet with two Win95 machines and a linux machine
>with IP addresses 192.168.0.*.
>The linux machine also has a modem, which I connect to the internet
>with.
>The ethernet works (i.e. the three machines can talk to each other)
>and the PPP link works (i.e. the linux machine can talk to the
>internet.)

>Of course, I want the '95 machines to browse the 'net aswell.

>By the way, I am new to Linux.

>After looking through many HOWTOs, I decided that IP Masquearding must
>be the solution to my problem.

>I did the following: (anything after #, I typed, anything after '...'
>is a summary of what the computer responded, anything else is exactly
>what the computer responded):

>ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument

>After looking through many more HOWTOs, I decided I must have to
>compile a new kernal.

>...here I selected the options, making sure masquerading, etc, was on.

>...lots of make stuff.

>...lots of make stuff.

>...lots of make stuff, for a long time

>...lots of make stuff.

>after that I copied zImage to /boot/testboot1, and changed lilo.conf
>to boot from it.
>During the boot, I get: (each lline had three *-s at the front, but
>that won't fit on a line here)
>Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_cuseeme.o
>Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_ftp.o
>Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_irc.o
>Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_quake.o
>Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_raudio.o
>Unresolved symbols in module /lib/module/2.0.30/ipv4/ip_masq_vdolive.o

>I tried the ipfwadm lines again, but still no joy.

>Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

>Jarrod Lowe

>(This email address will be invalidated within 2 months.)

try getting into /sbin and run lilo again so that it will update.  I
had this very problem until i ran lilo again.  I spent many hours
trying to figure out how I misconfigured my lilo.conf file -- then i
ran across an obscure line in a howto about rerunning lilo.

good luck.
roger

IP Masquerading not working

Post by Fotis Andritsopoul » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

The errors you said are in the modules... That means that if the
modules is not installed correctly you cannot ftp, irc etc... But you
can traceroute , http etc... I think that the error is at the ipfwadm
commands...I have set a network with the IP's 192.168.0.x works
fine... First of all the parametre /24 is wrong because the
192.168.0.0 is a class B network (not a class C)... My rc.local has
these two lines for IP masq.

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.0/16 -D 0.0.0.0/0
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny

Don't forget !!! 1) You have to run these two commands BEFORE make
your PPP connection and you have to type the commands as above: First
the line with the IP's which permits these IP's and AFTER the 'DENY'
command....

                        Fotis Andritsopoulos

Post by Jarrod Lo » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>>Ok. I have an ethernet with two Win95 machines and a linux machine
>>with IP addresses 192.168.0.*.
>>The linux machine also has a modem, which I connect to the internet
>>with.
>>The ethernet works (i.e. the three machines can talk to each other)
>>and the PPP link works (i.e. the linux machine can talk to the
>>internet.)

>>Of course, I want the '95 machines to browse the 'net aswell.

>>By the way, I am new to Linux.

>>After looking through many HOWTOs, I decided that IP Masquearding must
>>be the solution to my problem.

>>I did the following: (anything after #, I typed, anything after '...'
[...sniped...]
>try getting into /sbin and run lilo again so that it will update.  I
>had this very problem until i ran lilo again.  I spent many hours
>trying to figure out how I misconfigured my lilo.conf file -- then i
>ran across an obscure line in a howto about rerunning lilo.

>good luck.
>roger

Thanks! Works like a charm!

Post by James Youngma » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> try getting into /sbin and run lilo again so that it will update.  I
> had this very problem until i ran lilo again.  I spent many hours
> trying to figure out how I misconfigured my lilo.conf file -- then i
> ran across an obscure line in a howto about rerunning lilo.

I suspect that it would be a good idea if running LILO touched a file
(maybe /etc/lilo.install-time) so that boot-time scripts could do:-

if test /etc/lilo.conf -nt /etc/lilo.install-time
then
        echo "YOU FORGOT TO RE-RUN LILO BEFORE REBOOTING."
        echo "PLEASE RUN /sbin/lilo AND THEN REBOOT _AGAIN_"
fi

The scripts could even check the dates of the arguments of the image=
lines against /etc/lilo.install-time, too.

(If you like the idea I could knock out some patches!)