Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

Post by Dan Krone » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:23:11

Can someone send me some sample files for the latest version of the named
program?

/etc/named.conf

and

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts

I am having some trouble understanding how to configure my new RH 6.2
server.

My setup is as follows:

I have a DSL modem connected to a hardware router.  I have an external IP
number and 192.168.1.X as ip's for my LAN running TCP/IP.  The linux server
is at local ip 192.168.1.10.

I want to run my own mail server and name server for HTTP and FTP access.

If I run NSLOOKUP, it reports that it cannot find a server name address for
192.168.1.10 (non-existent host/domain)
and for my external IP (no response from server)

I think if I can see some sample files set up correctly, that I can
reconfigure my system to work correctly.

Or - better yet, if someone can walk me throught this setup I would be
forever greatful!!!

Thanks!!!

www.pdsvs.com
949-367-1212

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> Can someone send me some sample files for the latest version of the named
> program?

> /etc/named.conf

> and

> /etc/resolv.conf
> /etc/hosts

> I am having some trouble understanding how to configure my new RH 6.2
> server.

> My setup is as follows:

> I have a DSL modem connected to a hardware router.  I have an external IP
> number and 192.168.1.X as ip's for my LAN running TCP/IP.  The linux server
> is at local ip 192.168.1.10.

> I want to run my own mail server and name server for HTTP and FTP access.

> If I run NSLOOKUP, it reports that it cannot find a server name address for
> 192.168.1.10 (non-existent host/domain)
> and for my external IP (no response from server)

If you want to run you own nameserver you should take a look
at http://www.math.uio.no/~janl/DNS/DNS-HOWTO-4.html

If you want to connect to your ISP nameserver you should edit
/etc/resolv.conf, for example:

search yourdomain.com
nameserver 123.234.123.234      # nameserver of your ISP
#nameserver 127.0.0.1           # if you are running your own ns

Regards, Joerg.

> I think if I can see some sample files set up correctly, that I can
> reconfigure my system to work correctly.

> Or - better yet, if someone can walk me throught this setup I would be
> forever greatful!!!

> Thanks!!!

> www.pdsvs.com
> 949-367-1212

Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

Post by Dan Krone » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 06:26:04

Thanks!

--

www.pdsvs.com
949-367-1212

> www.isc.org has some samples along with reference BIND implementation

> AG

> > Can someone send me some sample files for the latest version of the
named
> > program?

> > /etc/named.conf

> > and

> > /etc/resolv.conf
> > /etc/hosts

> > I am having some trouble understanding how to configure my new RH 6.2
> > server.

> > My setup is as follows:

> > I have a DSL modem connected to a hardware router.  I have an external
IP
> > number and 192.168.1.X as ip's for my LAN running TCP/IP.  The linux
> server
> > is at local ip 192.168.1.10.

> > I want to run my own mail server and name server for HTTP and FTP
access.

> > If I run NSLOOKUP, it reports that it cannot find a server name address
> for
> > 192.168.1.10 (non-existent host/domain)
> > and for my external IP (no response from server)

> > I think if I can see some sample files set up correctly, that I can
> > reconfigure my system to work correctly.

> > Or - better yet, if someone can walk me throught this setup I would be
> > forever greatful!!!

> > Thanks!!!

> > www.pdsvs.com
> > 949-367-1212

1. Help with /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf

I am asking for help.
The situation is as follows. I have a Linux box with
2 Ethernet cards. With one I am connected to the world, with the second
I am connected to the other stand alone PC running win98.

   network.net

   eth0
   Linux_ box  eth1  -----  PC win98

Thus the Linux box has actually three IP addresses
127.0.0.1  as localhost
193.x.y.z known to the world
100.100.100.2  as Linux_box

The PC win98  has IP of 100.100.100.1

Could anyone help me to specify  /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf
on my Linux box or give me some more suggestions not to have some conflicts ?
I just want to run Linux box connected to the world, but I want
also to have the connection between Linux box and PC as a sort of a subnet ?
Thanks a lot,
Ivan, Ljubljana, Slovenia.

2. REVIEW: RedHat 2.0

3. comments in /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf

4. Recommended books for beginner

5. config /etc/resolv.conf to use /etc/hosts first for DNS??

6. Networking For Computer Professionals

7. Using /etc/hosts AND /etc/resolv.conf

8. Q: Yggdrasil Linux on Micron Millennia PC. Experiences?

9. /etc/host.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf

10. How come nameserver with a host name not work in /etc/resolv.conf

11. /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/xinetd.conf

12. /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/xinetd.conf

13. /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and ps problems