using DNS server(named) and external dns server.

using DNS server(named) and external dns server.

Post by Robin Imri » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have set up a local DNS server running on Red Hat 5.2 as a primary server.
Form my client machines I also need to access 2 other DNS servers as
provided by my ISP which we connect to via a gateway. When I edited the
settings for my machine (via DHCPD) to include the local DNS I discovered
that DNS lookup was only being performed by my local DNS server. i.e. if the
local DNS server cold not resolve a name the other DNS server were not
tried.

Is this a fault with my client software (NT4) or do I need to set up the
local DNS server differently.

thanks

Robin.

Robin Imrie
SysMedia Ltd

using DNS server(named) and external dns server.

Post by William Evan » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

    Robin> I have set up a local DNS server running on Red Hat 5.2 as a primary server.
    Robin> Form my client machines I also need to access 2 other DNS servers as
    Robin> provided by my ISP which we connect to via a gateway. When I edited the
    Robin> settings for my machine (via DHCPD) to include the local DNS I discovered
    Robin> that DNS lookup was only being performed by my local DNS server. i.e. if the
    Robin> local DNS server cold not resolve a name the other DNS server were not
    Robin> tried.

    Robin> Is this a fault with my client software (NT4) or do I need to set up the
    Robin> local DNS server differently.

If you're intending to cache hits that you aren't a master for, make
sure you've put the "forwarding" parameter somewhere in named.boot (or
whatever your named cfg file is).  This is slightly different for
bind-4 and bind-8.  For 4, just put in "forwarders 1.2.3.4" replacing
1.2.3.4 with the ip address of the other DNS server.

BTW: I ran into trouble at some point with my ISP's DNS server (it was
dog slow a lot of the time), so I don't forward.  My configuration
goes straight out and queries root-servers and does it this way.
Perhaps it's not always the best way, but I haven't had a big delay
like I did using my ISP's DNS servers!

To use this, I have "cache . named.ca" in my /etc/named.boot (again,
bind-4).  named.ca is produced using dig as:

Actually, I do this monthly to make sure I am up to date (an old
named.ca can be very hard to deal with), and check the file to make
sure the query was successful before I overwrite the one used.  Simple
little script that's been working flawlessly for years now.  If you
need a copy of this, drop me a line.

HTH

-bill

--

using DNS server(named) and external dns server.

Post by Robin Imri » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>If you're intending to cache hits that you aren't a master for, make
>sure you've put the "forwarding" parameter somewhere in named.boot (or
>whatever your named cfg file is).  This is slightly different for
>bind-4 and bind-8.  For 4, just put in "forwarders 1.2.3.4" replacing
>1.2.3.4 with the ip address of the other DNS server.

is the forward performed by the local dns server or the client?

My local DNS server can't do a forward as it doen't has access to the
network, but it could if I knew how to set it up so that it used the poxy
server, another issue I guess.

1. if DNS server was Windows based what DNS server software is avail?

WSM> And what is "Unices" ;)

JdeBP> I assume that the emoticon indicates disingenuousness on your part.
JdeBP> After all, a 10 second search of the World Wide Web with one's favourite
JdeBP> search engine will turn up a definition of [the] word, and anyone as
JdeBP> proficient with English as yourself and who deals with computers will
JdeBP> have undoubtedly long since encountered the plurals of words such as
JdeBP> "index" and "matrix".

KDGS> Maybe your understanding of the English language is the problem, [...]
KDGS> The plural for Unix is still Unix.

Take the 10 seconds and perform the search.  You'll find plenty of
people telling you what the accepted plural is, and that that isn't
it.  Or read the "comp.unix.questions" FAQ document.

2. Forcing terminals to login

3. NT dns server request to my LINUX dns server time out

4. perfmeter strangeness following patches

5. Setting up a caching DNS server in Linux - can't find server name

6. Netscape Server - virtual domain using one process?

7. Setting up a DNS secondary server: ***Can't find server name for ...

8. Borrow rootvg disc for another machine?

9. I can't resolve domain names using my ISP DNS Server!!!!

10. Using aliases in file "hosts" parallel with a name server UNDER DNS

11. How can I set DNS on LINUX used as name server within stand-alone network?

12. DNS: can I set my dns to forward a web address to another server ?

13. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients