Linksys BEFSR41 Problem

Post by John Dippo » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:22:03

I have a small network with several windows workstations and 2 linux boxes.
Samba runs on 1 linux machine to provide file services for all windows
machines.  I was using an old machine with Gateway Guardian to connect to a
cable modem which was my internet access through my local cable company
(Comcast).  Life was good!  Then, Comcast changed to dynamically assigned their
Domain Name Service.  The freeware version of Gateway Guardian would not
support this and I did not want to fork out the bucks to buy the most recent
version.  So, I now have a Linksys BEFSR41 router with a 4 port switch.  It
works to the extent that all machines can access the internet.  But, the LAN
side has many problems.  No matter how I configure the Linksys, whether as a
DHCP server for the LAN or fixed IP, I don't have full features.
With DHCP:
- While the Linksys shows the host name with the assigned IP address and MAC
address, using the host name to ping, telnet and map samba drives fails.
- All machines can access the internet
- Using the assigned IP address, the initial connect to telnet into either of
the Linux boxes is very slow, say, 30 seconds.
Using fixed IP:
- Very little works, the windows machines intermittently can connect to the
Linksys setup window.  But, no connection
- I assume that I use the IP address of the Linksys as the gateway and DNS.  It
doesn't seem to get me anywhere.
Neither really works for me.  Can anyone give me some direction to solve these
problems.  Thanks for reading this.

Linksys BEFSR41 Problem

Post by Jim Lewi » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:02:23

  I wish I could help you John but I have almost the same problem. I have been
running for about a year and a half using the Linksys BEFSR41 and all was fine.
The other day I exchanged the Terayon modem with a Toshiba PCX2000 at the request
of my provider (Cox Communications) and now my internal access is messed up. I get
a strange delay anytime I do something to an internal (192.168.1.1xx) address. My
public Internet access is fine, better than ever, only the internal side is
screwed up. I can see, using tcpdump, that the router is asking the Cox
nameservers for stuff, is it supposed to do that on an internal access? Even
runing the "route" command does this. The delay is so bad my winblows box won't
even connect anymore. My 405 PowerPC embedded board gets and boots its kernel okay
but has a hard time mounting the filesystem. All of this worked great before
changing modems.

  So, does anyone have any ideas? I am stumped, and I have asked a lot of people
about this. An email sent to Linksys about a week ago has been ignored so far. Oh,
I reflashed to the latest code but it didn't help anything.

Jim Lewis

> I have a small network with several windows workstations and 2 linux boxes.
> Samba runs on 1 linux machine to provide file services for all windows
> machines.  I was using an old machine with Gateway Guardian to connect to a
> cable modem which was my internet access through my local cable company
> (Comcast).  Life was good!  Then, Comcast changed to dynamically assigned their
> Domain Name Service.  The freeware version of Gateway Guardian would not
> support this and I did not want to fork out the bucks to buy the most recent
> version.  So, I now have a Linksys BEFSR41 router with a 4 port switch.  It
> works to the extent that all machines can access the internet.  But, the LAN
> side has many problems.  No matter how I configure the Linksys, whether as a
> DHCP server for the LAN or fixed IP, I don't have full features.
> With DHCP:
> - While the Linksys shows the host name with the assigned IP address and MAC
> address, using the host name to ping, telnet and map samba drives fails.
> - All machines can access the internet
> - Using the assigned IP address, the initial connect to telnet into either of
> the Linux boxes is very slow, say, 30 seconds.
> Using fixed IP:
> - Very little works, the windows machines intermittently can connect to the
> Linksys setup window.  But, no connection
> - I assume that I use the IP address of the Linksys as the gateway and DNS.  It
> doesn't seem to get me anywhere.
> Neither really works for me.  Can anyone give me some direction to solve these
> problems.  Thanks for reading this.

Linksys BEFSR41 Problem

Post by Bill Jehl » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:22:09

I don't know if this will help but
 Hal Burgiss sent me this and it allowed me to ping and traceroute through
my  same linksys at least.

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

My linux box screams through the modem alone but not through the router.
The Win machines do fine through the router.
Oh and I agree linksys support sucks.

--b

> [...]

>> side has many problems.  No matter how I configure the Linksys, whether
>> as a DHCP server for the LAN or fixed IP, I don't have full features.
>> With DHCP:
>> - While the Linksys shows the host name with the assigned IP address and
>> MAC address, using the host name to ping, telnet and map samba drives
>> fails. - All machines can access the internet
>> - Using the assigned IP address, the initial connect to telnet into
>> either of the Linux boxes is very slow, say, 30 seconds.
>> Using fixed IP:
>> - Very little works, the windows machines intermittently can connect to
>> the
>> Linksys setup window.  But, no connection
>> - I assume that I use the IP address of the Linksys as the gateway and
>> DNS.  It doesn't seem to get me anywhere.
>> Neither really works for me.  Can anyone give me some direction to solve

1. Linksys Realplayer 8 / Linksys BEFSR41 Router settings?

I have configured several boxes at home behind a Linksys router
#BEFSR41.Both my w2k and linux boxes are able to connect through the
router however Realplayer(RealOne) only connects through the router
successfully on my w2k box. On the linux box I have installed RealPlayer
8 successfully but cannot get get it to connect through the router.
Playing local ra files works fine. What should I be looking at in order
to solve this? I tried looking at preferences and tried Auto-Configure
to no avail.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony.

2. Changing REsolution

3. Connecting to @Home (via linksys PCMCIA -> Linksys BEFSR41) (Mandrake 8.0)

4. Q] Set up bpf so I can use tcpdump?

5. Linksys BEFSR41 and Red Hat Linux 8.0 problems - Please help!

6. Can I get a list of APARs?

7. D-Link DI-804 and Linksys BEFSR41 NAT problem

8. AMD K6-300 with a Gigabyte GA-5AX

9. Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

10. Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router SLOW..why?

11. Linksys BEFSR41 and DHCP

12. Need networking help RH 6.2, Linksys BEFSR41, DHCP issues

13. Linksys BEFSR41 - no browser access in linux?