Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

Post by per_ove_carls.. » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
But...
I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

Linux box:
Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
Windows machine:
Burn with some proper software that handel my image-format.  ???

Please give some advice I need help on this problem.

Best Regards / Per-Ove

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

Post by Ash Remw » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

hi per_ove,

can samba satisfy your need for backing up your root partition without
much fuss?

u could use samba to designate your root patition as, say F: on your
windows machine then access F: (ie your root) like any other drife on
your windows machine.

if this may satisfy your needs i'll post more details.

***********************
Hope it Helps
Ash
***********************

Quote:> A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
> The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

> The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
> But...
> I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
> two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

> Linux box:
> Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
> Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
> making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
> Windows machine:
> Burn with some proper software that handel my image-format.  ???

> Please give some advice I need help on this problem.

> Best Regards / Per-Ove

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
> The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

> The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
> But...
> I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
> two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

Somebody else suggested using Samba. Ignore this advice. Backing up via
Samba will lose **VITAL** Linux filesystem information. You might be able
to restore certain specific files this way, but other files won't restore.
If you ever needed to do a full emergency restore (say, after your hard
disk has died), you're Linux system won't boot. Using Samba to transfer
the result of the process I'm about to suggest is perfectly workable,
however....

The way I'd do this is to use tar on Linux to create a tar file, then burn
that tar file to CD in a normal ISO-9660 filesystem. For instance, as
root:

tar cflpf /path/to/tar/file.tgz /

Then transfer /path/to/tar/file.tgz to Windows and burn a CD containing
that file only. You should be able to mount the CD in Linux as a normal CD
and recover files from it using tar, including (if necessary) the entire
Linux system. (This last you'd obviously have to do from an emergency
floppy.) If you use smbmount to mount your Windows system on /path/to/tar,
you wouldn't need a separate file transfer step.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

Post by aflinsc » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
> The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

> The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
> But...
> I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
> two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

> Linux box:
> Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
> Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
> making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
> Windows machine:
> Burn with some proper software that handel my image-format.  ???

> Please give some advice I need help on this problem.

I do the opposite of this all the time.
smbmount windows drive to linux box
make iso image of windows files on linux box (directly over 100Mbit
link), slow but works
burn from image on linux

what you would need to do is
smbmount windows drive to linux box
make iso image of linux files to windows drive
burn image from windows

1. Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
But...
I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

Linux box:
Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
Windows machine:
Burn with some proper software that handel my image-format.  ???

Please give some advice I need help on this problem.

Best Regards / Per-Ove

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Linux proxy server connecting to Mail server(Mandrake 9 beta2)

3. Windows media Player plug-ins

4. Kmail said it sent my message...but lied!

5. cdr linux burn reads in windows, no mount in linux

6. X causes the whole system to hang.

7. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

8. MetroX or XFree86 ??

9. making a image to burn to cd in linux?

10. Help burning CDR (iso) image

11. CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

12. Burning REDHAT image on CDR