Confused at to how firewall is setup in linux kernel 2.2.0

Confused at to how firewall is setup in linux kernel 2.2.0

Post by Seb » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello.
    I am having trouble configuring the firewall in linux. I don't know
if it's working and i don't know how to setup it up.
    Do i use ipwadim or ipchains? And cause i don't know how to do
scripts either, as in no idea how they who and what all the stuff means,
i wouldn't mind some help there too.

Well thanks again.
Sebastian

Post by Aris CRu » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello.
>     I am having trouble configuring the firewall in linux. I don't know
> if it's working and i don't know how to setup it up.
>     Do i use ipwadim or ipchains? And cause i don't know how to do
> scripts either, as in no idea how they who and what all the stuff means,
> i wouldn't mind some help there too.

> Well thanks again.
> Sebastian

To run a firewall on the 2.2.0 kernel who have to run ipchains.  The
scripting is not too bad.  Just follow the following link for more info.
http://www.linux-howto.com/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Setting up firewall for dial-ins: How?

Hi,

suppose I want to set up a "telecommuting" environment, so that people
with PCs or Macs at home can log into the corporate network.
I can't see any major problems on the client side, but what about the
server side? I'd like the setup reflect that of our companie's connection
to the Internet - there's a firewall that basically acts as a router.
Similarly, I'd like the server to "route" dialins to specific hosts.
Are there any guidelines for such a setup, especially with respect to
security?
I'm also interested in people's opinion on what kind of hardware and
software would be required on the server side, e.g. what kinds of serial
cards, how many dialup-lines per so and so many people, security software
(for instance, there has been a discussion on the TIS firewall toolkit -
could I use it?), and other things I most certainly forgot to mention.

Somebody willing to share his/her experience?

chr

Siemens AG, Munich, Germany  |             +49-89-636-44519

2. CD ROMS

3. i am confused: DIP, SLIP, PPP, TCP ....

4. gcc and ppp-2.4.1

5. I am confused about Sendmail.

6. newbie question about setting up a server

7. DIFFERENT RESULTS: I am confused!

8. HELP!! DNS Configuration!

9. I was cracked, and am somewhat confused...

10. Disk Recovery and lde: Am I horribly confused?

11. Now, I am happy, but confused...

12. I am a very confused Japanese Girl - help.

13. I am so confused! (Shared libraries)