Netatalk: 'afpd' reports unresolved symbol '__xstat'

Netatalk: 'afpd' reports unresolved symbol '__xstat'

Post by Frampton Steve » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I'm trying to get Netatalk (1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5) working under Linux 2.0.35
(Red Hat 5.1 with all updates applied).  The kernel is custom and includes
Appletalk network support as well as other required networking options as
specified in the kernel docs and Netatalk docs.

I can see my server in the Chooser Appletalk shares, and if I enable
guest logins in the atalk.init file, I can sign on as guest.  But if I
try logging into either the 'admin' account I established, or my own
regular account, the Mac sits there for about 2 minutes before saying
that the connection to the server was "unexpectantly broken".  I've tried
this with and without clear-text logins enabled.  I'm having equally
problematic results with both MacOS 7.5.5 as well as 7.1, so I don't think
my problem is related to the 'asun' patches.

Interestingly enough, I *was* able to get things working about a month
ago, and went on my merry way thinking everybody was happy.  But for
whatever reason, things have stopped working.

I tried running afpd in debug mode, and this is what I see:

Starting AppleTalk services: atalkd papd afpd command: 18
12 0E 41 46 50 56 65 72 73 69 6F 6E 20 32 2E 31         ..AFPVersion 2.1
10 43 6C 65 61 72 74 78 74 20 70 61 73 73 77 72         .Cleartxt passwr
64 05 61 64 6D 69 6E 00 20 73 74 70 61 74 20 00         d.admin.tuvwxyz.
(end)
afpd: can't resolve symbol '__xstat'

[ Note: I've changed the password to 'tuvwxyz' "just in case" ;-) ]

What has me concerned is the "can't resolve symbol '__xstat'" message.
Surely *that* can't be good.

Anybody have any ideas?

--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------

Post by Mark A. Stins » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I can see my server in the Chooser Appletalk shares, and if I enable
> guest logins in the atalk.init file, I can sign on as guest.  But if I
> try logging into either the 'admin' account I established, or my own
> regular account, the Mac sits there for about 2 minutes before saying
> that the connection to the server was "unexpectantly broken".  I've tried
> this with and without clear-text logins enabled.  I'm having equally
> problematic results with both MacOS 7.5.5 as well as 7.1, so I don't think
> my problem is related to the 'asun' patches.

> Interestingly enough, I *was* able to get things working about a month
> ago, and went on my merry way thinking everybody was happy.  But for
> whatever reason, things have stopped working.

Swing over to my page concerning Redhat 5.1 and Netatalk at
http://members.xoom.com/markstinson/netatalk/ . On that page it will
detail which RPM worked for me. In addition, on that page is a link to the
Hamptons. It has setup information, a patched netatalk and a pointer to
the Faq-o-matic. The Faq-o-matic has lots of troubleshooting information.

Note: the difference between the patched version of Netatalk at the
Hamptons is that I believe it uses the standard libraries. The one on mine
uses the gclib6 libraries (esp. since I have gclib6 installed).

In a nutshell, many people have been able to install Netatalk for Redhat
5.x and log into the server as "Guest" just fine from a Macintosh or
compatible. But, if you log in a registered user with a password, when the
Mac is waiting for authorization any number of things happen: Lock the
Mac, Fail authentication or Timing out.

Many though it was possible shadowed passwords or the Redhat enhanced
password  feature.  It still may be so, but for those using a standard
installation, you now have a solution.

I've been in correspondence with Randy <snip> about setting up Netatalk
and my experiences.  Well, Randy pulled across the finish line before I
did.  Here it is folks, to quote the e-mail and spread the Netatalk
gospel:

    Ahh, all is now clear.  The rpm package in the contrib directory is
    broken. There is a correct rpm to use,

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/grouped/glibc/i386/Networking/
    netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-phh4.i386.rpm

    that works very well.

    I'm hoping that you can tell others about this.  It sure took alot of my
    time to figure out.

    -Randy

A big THANK YOU SO MUCH to Randy for his valuable time.  I've tried it and
it works. The general responce is the same from other RH5.1 users/admins.

If you need help configuring netatalk, swing by The Hamptons for the rest
of the setup. ( http://thehamptons.com/atalk.html ) Just skip their install
info. Focus on the /etc/atalk files and the /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk file.
(Remember to make backup copies first.) For the fastest response, post to
the Linux group "comp.os.linux.networking" if you need more help.

As for running in debug mode, I've not tried that. I hope someone can help
you here.

Quote:> I tried running afpd in debug mode, and this is what I see: