finding out which programs are using which ports

finding out which programs are using which ports

Post by Glen Coate » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:14:21

I just did an nmap run on one of my boxes, and a few services popped up
that I don't recognise.  How can I get the full name of the executable
which is using a given port on Linux?  I'm running RH7.3 if that's
relevant.

--
Cheers,
Glen

Post by b10.. » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:23:05

|I just did an nmap run on one of my boxes, and a few services popped up
|that I don't recognise.  How can I get the full name of the executable
|which is using a given port on Linux?  I'm running RH7.3 if that's
|relevant.

netstat with -p or lsof

Post by Clive Dov » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:27:22

> I just did an nmap run on one of my boxes, and a few services popped
> up
> that I don't recognise.  How can I get the full name of the executable
> which is using a given port on Linux?  I'm running RH7.3 if that's
> relevant.

Try this command:

$ cat /proc/ioports

Post by 93.. » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:47:54

|> I just did an nmap run on one of my boxes, and a few services popped
|> up
|> that I don't recognise.  How can I get the full name of the executable
|> which is using a given port on Linux?  I'm running RH7.3 if that's
|> relevant.
|
|Try this command:
|
|$ cat /proc/ioports

I think you didn't understand the OP's question. Do a man nmap to
understand what it does.

finding out which programs are using which ports

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:49:29

Quote:> I just did an nmap run on one of my boxes, and a few services popped up
> that I don't recognise.  How can I get the full name of the executable
> which is using a given port on Linux?  I'm running RH7.3 if that's
> relevant.

run netstat --inet -apn as root on that machine, it will get you the
exe name. Then use apropos and man to learn more..

Post by Rex Diete » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:51:59

> I just did an nmap run on one of my boxes, and a few services popped up
> that I don't recognise.  How can I get the full name of the executable
> which is using a given port on Linux?  I'm running RH7.3 if that's
> relevant.

lsof Will tell you.

--
Rex A. Dieter
Computer System Administrator

Post by Glen Coate » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:10:28

> I just did an nmap run on one of my boxes, and a few services popped up
> that I don't recognise.  How can I get the full name of the executable
> which is using a given port on Linux?  I'm running RH7.3 if that's
> relevant.

Thanks heaps guys.

--
Cheers,