ethernet dec21143 problems

Post by asdf » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm having problems in getting my network card to work.  Red Hat 5.0 detects
it as a "tulip," though I never actually tried to get to work on RH. In
Slackware, I can't insert the tulip module, and the de4x5 will insert but I
get an "uninitialized" message with "lsmod."  How can I get my card
initialized.  It's a built-in card, it's supposed to be DEC21143 based.

ethernet dec21143 problems

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Why can't you use the tulip module?

/sbin/modprobe tulip

I have a DEC21141 compatible card and have no problem with either module,
tulip or de4x5x.  tulip performs much better though.

Edit you /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file and uncomment the location where the
tulip driver is loaded and make sure you find tulip.o under
/lib/modules/2.0.36/net/  (or whatever kernel version you have).

Good luck!.

Tom Veldhouse

>I'm having problems in getting my network card to work.  Red Hat 5.0
detects
>it as a "tulip," though I never actually tried to get to work on RH. In
>Slackware, I can't insert the tulip module, and the de4x5 will insert but I
>get an "uninitialized" message with "lsmod."  How can I get my card
>initialized.  It's a built-in card, it's supposed to be DEC21143 based.

ethernet dec21143 problems

Post by Peter Samuels » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm having problems in getting my network card to work.  [...] It's a
> built-in card, it's supposed to be DEC21143 based.

Quoting the Tulip FAQ (http://www.bmen.tulane.edu/~siekas/faq.html):

  6. I am having problems with my 21143?
  Get the latest driver!

Said driver can be downloaded from Donald's site:

  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/tulip.c

and compiled using the instructions at:

  http://www.bmen.tulane.edu/~siekas/build.html

HTH.
--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

ethernet dec21143 problems

Post by Peck R. Woo » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I had trouble loading the tulip driver as a module.  I made a kernel
with it though and it worked after that. I'm using slackware3.6 which
uses the 2.0.35 kernel.  The box is a DEC Celebris GL 6200.  I had it
running on the 2.0.30 kernel too.  Get the latest drivers and build a
kernel with it.  I got them at:

ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers

I also had an odd problem with 2 network cards installed.  The tulip
wouldn't work until I put the other card on the same network with it.
After that I could change the other card to any IP and the tulip would
continue to work.

> I'm having problems in getting my network card to work.  Red Hat 5.0 detects
> it as a "tulip," though I never actually tried to get to work on RH. In
> Slackware, I can't insert the tulip module, and the de4x5 will insert but I
> get an "uninitialized" message with "lsmod."  How can I get my card
> initialized.  It's a built-in card, it's supposed to be DEC21143 based.

  peckrwood.vcf
< 1K Download

1. bootnet.img: support for DEC21143 (tulip.o)

Hello,
I am trying to ftp install RedHat Intel 6.0 onto a Crystal CS500.
I am having all sorts of fun and games getting the NIC to work.
The system has an integrated card (CPU, keyboard, mouse, NIC etc all
on one card) and the ethernet subsystem is based on the DEC21143
chipset.

Install sees the NIC but when I try to connect to the network it
fails.  I get errors on the hub (a nice flashing red LED).  RedHat
support are on the case and I am also wading through the readmes, FAQs
and web pages but I have not found anything too helpful.

The Linux-Tulip information page,
http://www.bmen.tulane.edu/~siekas/tulip.html
is being updated and I've not found anything of direct relevance in
Donald Becker's page except for the diagnostic program which I will
try out soon.

I am doing an ftp install because although I have the RedHat Cds I
don't have a SCSI CD for the Crystal.  A colleague originally
installed the system using an IDE CD (powered by *another* PC!) but
the install only worked when an IDE CD was present, removing it (or
not powering it) killed the network connection (?).  Sometimes it
didn't work even with the CD attached.

Given that there is a brain-damaged installation on my system I have
tried using linuxconf to reinstall the tulip driver and I also tried
the de4x5 driver, neither worked.

I have also copied the entire CD set onto the hard disk but I don't
get the option to do a hard disk based install ... I suspect this is
because the cd image is on the system partition ?
I've also tried the expert install without any luck.

I think the problem may be either that the card is trying to run at
100Mb/s when it should be 10Mb/s or the driver embedded in bootnet and
the kernel is not suitable for my system.

So ...

1. has anyone ever successfully ftp installed on a system like mine
using a boot floppy and ftp ?

2. can anyone talk me through making a bootnet.img with the latest
tulip.o ?

If I have to I will recompile the kernel or drop in another NIC but I
would rather crack this problem and do a clean install from scratch so
I can use the integrated NIC and repartiton the hard disk.

If I have missed any information sources or if anyone needs more
information, please feel free to email me.

If anyone posts a reply I would be very graeful if you could also cc

Many thanks in advance for any advice or pointers!

Cheers,
   Andy.

2. Automatic account manipulation

3. Trouble with DEC21143

4. SiS 6326 AGP and XF86Config

5. DEC21143 (Tulip)

6. What is "kde-i18n-3.0.4.tar.bz2" file?

7. unsupported? pcmcia card dec21143 chip??

8. Look in here!! [pppd]

9. Ethernet -> Dial-up -> Ethernet Routing problem

10. PF at boot problem and ethernet kernel recompile problem

11. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

12. Wireless ethernet in laptop to hard-wired ethernet network, is it possible?

13. RH51, ETHERNET: IBM ISA Ethernet adapter help!